Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine Leak Relationship To AHI
Machine Leak Relationship To AHI
I have owned a Resmed Airsense 10 since October of 2019. I use the Oscar App to monitor my numbers. Recently I have encountered a large leak nearly every night that my Oscar numbers indicate to be 99% over leak line.  My AHI continues to be in the range of 0.50 >> 2.50.  I took my machine into my clinician at Apria, who was able to ascertain that the connection to the hose at the back of the machine was broken, and unfixable. She recommended that I get into a new Resmed 11 Airsense. I have had major problems removing these hoses from the machine, and attaching the new ones. She (my clinician) warned that trying to do anything further with the existing hose might permanently disable my machine.
The second and larger problem is that Medicare will not pay for a new machine until (5) years have elapsed since the purchase date of the original machine. That would mean that I need to keep this one (broken as it is) in service for another 18 months, using the same hose.
Obviously, I have the option of purchasing a new one at my cost (around $1K), which is really not doable for me.

My question for the forum is this:

Is this machine, in the state that it is in, taking into consideration a large leak, still giving me maximum clinical benefit? I realize that Oscar numbers are still acceptable by standards, but can I depend upon this to be stable indefinitely?

Thank you ...JWarner
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine Leak Relationship To AHI
Ans: Probably.  If the leaks aren't continuous and exceeding the high limit at which the machine can cope, then you are probably getting the volumes of air you need to keep your airway stented.  But, if those leaks are only frequent, and not continuous, but they exceed the machine's ability to stent you properly, then you ARE NOT getting the therapy you need. 

The depiction in OSCAR showing the leaks should soon have you assured one way or another.  If those peaks are mostly below the upper limit, then you're good.

I would take the device to a repair shop that could have a look at it and maybe repair it with bits of tin metal, solder, maybe fiberglass...I'm not sure just what the fault is. It's not like it's still under warranty....or is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine Leak Relationship To AHI
Mesenteria...

Thank you for your reply.  No, the machine is no longer under warranty. It ran out in October of 21. So, it appears that I have fallen into the "donut hole" as far as coverage is concerned.

Since 4/5/23, the "Large Leak" number has almost consistently fallen between 95.5% and 99.9%  I am assuming from your description of the leak level that the machine can tolerate, that it is right at the borderline now.

I am not certain of any type of business in my area (Casper,Wy) that might want to dabble inside a CPAP.

I do very much appreciate your advice and suggestions. We are now appealing to Medicare that the machine, despite being only 42 months into the 5 year period, is broken and likely soon to be non-functional.

JWarner

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 239 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.