Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine on the way - but catch 22
RE: Machine on the way - but catch 22
(07-24-2019, 08:21 PM)KallyA Wrote: This might sound gross to some people, but just fine to those desperate to avoid so many bathroom trips. One solution for guys is to have a male portable urinal (pee bottle) by the bed. You don't even have to take off your mask or disconnect from your machine. Heck, you don't even have to wake up all the way. If they work for patients in a hospital, why not at home?

All things considered, I'll just keep getting up and out of bed.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks KallyA,  For me it doesn't sound gross, vanity went out the door 20 years ago.  It will certainly be an alternative to consider.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what type of high blood pressure you are or what drugs you take, but recent studies have determined that increasing blood pressure for short amounts of time works better for reducing high blood pressure then taking blood pressure lowering drugs or water pills.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2019, 03:52 PM)WarEagle Wrote: My question or request for advise is how does one cope with PAP therapy when you have to get up every two hours to empty your bladder. 

LOL.  You turn off your machine, go pee, then come back, put your mask on and go back to sleep.

A few tricks to help.  You may find it easier to disconnect your mask than to take it off.  There's a bit of a trick to disconnect the hose in my Useful Links. 

You can also set your ResMed machine to auto start, so you can just disconnect the hose, and then reconnect it without having to mess with any buttons.

If you're using ramp, try turning it off.  All at once or wean yourself off of it as quickly as possible.

Good luck.

Many people find they need to pee less often at night after starting CPAP.  Being strangled in your sleep tends to make you need to pee.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2019, 01:49 AM)crowtor Wrote: I don't know what type of high blood pressure you are or what drugs you take, but recent studies have determined that increasing blood pressure for short amounts of time works better for reducing high blood pressure then taking blood pressure lowering drugs or water pills.

Can you cite a source?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2019, 08:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 01:49 AM)crowtor Wrote: I don't know what type of high blood pressure you are or what drugs you take, but recent studies have determined that increasing blood pressure for short amounts of time works better for reducing high blood pressure then taking blood pressure lowering drugs or water pills.

Can you cite a source?

Coincidentally, I was just discussing this same thing with someone today!

Exercise induces a temporary rise of blood pressure. Yet regular exercise helps decrease blood pressure. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...t-20046974
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2019, 01:58 AM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 08:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:

Can you cite a source?

Coincidentally, I was just discussing this same thing with someone today!

Exercise induces a temporary rise of blood pressure. Yet regular exercise helps decrease blood pressure. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...t-20046974

I can't find the journal in question so thanks for the save Hydrangea. The journal had tags:hypertension, counterintuitive, increasing blood pressure. It spoke of how high intensity short burst of increasing the pressure, like from lifting weights, lowered the pressure in the long run.

Some time ago I swtiched from doomsdaying-TV news to news on ScienceDaily, all articles are based on journals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,952 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,879 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,349 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,800 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Catch 22 Bagel 15 5,127 04-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Bagel
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,293 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] A catch up post..having been around much djjwilly 1 1,918 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.