Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machines Way Underreporting Events - Wow!
Machines Way Underreporting Events - Wow!
I took a careful look at the last five nights of sleep in OSCAR.  I was getting AHIs averaging between 0-3 on my BPAP S machine at 16/8 pressure.  The more I looked, the more I realized what BS these recorded stats are  There are so so many more hypopneas and apneas based on flow rate data that ever recorded.  Sometimes the wrist O2 monitor catches them too, but other times a 10-15 second duration may not be enough to drastically drop O2 levels on the CheckmeMax O2 monitor.  

I know there are many pieces to the puzzle that just can't be utilized like they do in labs such as EEG, belts, etc.  However, in no way can I trust the reported numbers based on that quick glance.  The events seem pretty patterned too in some cases.  I need to better distinguish flow rates in REM vs non-REM and all that, but still the issues seem obvious.  Bottom line is don't trust a machine it appears. 

It makes me think 16/8 is definitely not where I need to be.  Seems too low.  This must be why most recent polysomnogram testing had me at pressures like 18/9, 21/11 and once 24/14.  None were able to fix the episodic low O2 events though in totality.  The fight is always comfort vs effectiveness.  With an AHI of a range the machine is reporting, it's easy to think I'm OK.  The real number it truly is may be a different story and warrant real change.   Again, this is something doctors and DME places pay no attention to post-testing in my experience.  No monitoring non-reported events on machines, no O2 monitoring post pressure changes, no leak level optimization and on and on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 53 10 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,350 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 197 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 221 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 115 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 156 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,558 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.