Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Man, I hate leaks...even small ones
Man, I hate leaks...even small ones
I recently, within the last 4-6 weeks, switched from using the Dreamwear FFM to using the ResMed N30i and mouth taping with Cover-Roll stretch tape. Any leaks I have are slight enough I can't hear or feel them but they obviously are enough to cause a disturbance in the Force. 
On the bright side, my AHI has been under 1 about 95% of the nights since I switched to the N30i.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Man, I hate leaks...even small ones
Nice work, flow limits look great too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah...thank you. Some nights are better than others and I pretty much always have garbage breathing for the first 30 mins to 1 hr after I go to bed but then it seems to level out. When a leak starts it doesn't really seem to do anything to the flow, it's only when it goes away I get the little "disturbances". I did try the Dreamwear nasal cushion before I switched to and settled on the N30i. I'm really digging that mask. I tried reducing my epap and got all the way to 7 to see if it would help with the leaks. It didn't really seem to do anything and my breaths didn't look as 'full' so I've crept it back up to 10. I was on 12 when I was using the FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you have a short beard. Just wondering how the mouth taping worked for you. I also use an N30i but end to mouth breath a bit when sleeping. I tried mouth taping, but with a small goatee beard, and just couldn't get it to seal. Reluctant after some 50 years to say goodbye to my beloved beard!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2023, 12:33 AM)Old Mike Wrote: I see you have a short beard. Just wondering how the mouth taping worked for you. I also use an N30i but end to mouth breath a bit when sleeping. I tried mouth taping, but with a small goatee beard, and just couldn't get it to seal. Reluctant after some 50 years to say goodbye to my beloved beard!

I did have a little stubble in the photo but I don't usually go more than 4 or so days without shaving. Even with heavy stubble it seems to work fine for me, although I've never had a full on beard. I don't think it would do too good if that were the case. 
I've got to say, this whole apnea/pap therapy journey has been full of surprises for me. I never thought I would be one to enjoy wearing a mask to bed but after 16 months I actually enjoy it. I also never thought I would want to tape my mouth shut when I sleep but after a few weeks of that I don't want to go back to my FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying. I sort of figured that was the case. Looks like mouth taping really requires regular shaving! I'm an old geezer, so the stubble look would just make me look lazy. Big Grin 

I've done about 20 months of CPAP and have educated myself a lot over that period - I could write a book! Shaving off my beard will be a last resort though. At the moment, I'm experimenting again with reduced EPR (Level 2) and APAP7/11 (down 1 also). That has reduced the mouth breathing and improved my sleep - strangely AHI is well down too (and not just CA's). Actually, I was doing OK until fairly recently when I had to change the cushion on my N30i. I felt a bit air starved with the new one (older one didn't have the exhale diffuser), so increased the pressure settings and EPR. Probably all just a perception though. I envy those who who can effortlessly change from one mask to another. I'm at the other end of the spectrum - it doesn't take much to throw me. Cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for comparison, could you possibly post the chats using Dreamwear FFM? Cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey David , was there a significant difference in the N30i compared to the Dreamwear nasal cushion as far as leaks go?

I have been using the Dreamwear nasal cushions for a while now and just deal with the leaks but would consider switching to the N30i.  I love these top of the head hose locations since I have a tendency to move around a bit.   

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I bounce between the N30i and Dreamwear nasal cushion. Love the top of head so much better plus being a unicorn vs an elephant is cool. ? All that being said, I have notice no difference in leak rate between the two masks and I also tape. I get solid REM and deep sleep so I don’t hear anything. CPAP has vastly improved my sleep quality.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Yipee! Kind of what I suspected. Thanks for the reply.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 493 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.