Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mandibular Advancement Devices - is your mouth supposed to be closed ?
RE: Mandibular Advancement Devices - is your mouth supposed to be closed ?
I've been using a MAD device successfully for over 7 years.  The device was slowly adjusted to give effective treatment at first.  I adjust it based on how my symptoms are being mitigated.  The device hasn't made my jaw joint sore that i remember but i have had a few times when my teeth are slightly sore after a large increase in treatment.  My mouth stays mostly closed but i do have times of excessive saliva production.

my history::  A sleep study indicated my AHI was 10 or higher and my O2 charting showed marked declines which sync'd with the times i knew i was waking up.  I did try CPAP early on but couldn't tolerate it.  I use a TAP3 custom fit device I got from my dentist.  We tried a less expensive, lighter built, option but my clenching habit cracked the device after a couple weeks.

The MAD works for me due to the nature of the apnea.  I knew from paying attention when i was rousting up at night that my jaw and tongue were sliding back and causing obstruction and lots of snoring.  My sleep habit complicates the situation as I hook a finger over my chin and pull it down which ensures obstruction.  Whenever my MAD is in the shop (a few days every few years so far) i can tell a big difference in how i feel those days.  I've tracked my O2 levels with and without the device and the difference is marked.

PS:  The CPAP listed in my profile is what my wife uses which is why i'm here.. but maybe my MAD experience is helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Barefooter64, may i ask how did you check your O2 with your MAD & without MAD.  Did you use a a pulse oximeter?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about the really delayed reply...

I've checked my O2 a few times over the years with a logging PulseOx.  We had a finger type but have a SleepOn ring type now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2020, 05:07 AM)tiredofbeingtired Wrote: I found after several months my lower jaw no longer returned to it's normal position so that my bite changed where my front and bottom teeth met in the middle giving me what looked like a crossbite. Was still worth it for the improvement in apnea but it's something to be aware of. My bite did go back to normal when I stopped using it though.

That happened to me too.

I started off with a mandibular device and moved to CPAP when my front teeth no longer touched and I could not bite.
My teeth returned to normal by themselves.

Re the OP’s question, I always mouth-breathed with the splint, but only nose-breath with a CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,824 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.