Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Confusion
RE: Mask Confusion
How is your relationship with your DME? It's a good idea to try several different masks under pressure to see which suits you best. Can you book an hour with them and try out several different types of mask? (This should be done lying down, with pressure on). Also, see if they will do a 30 day return deal - try before you buy. Masks are expensive so it pays to try and get the best one to suit.
Post Reply Post Reply
The wonderful thing about OSCAR is that I can monitor my symptoms and learn early on that trouble has started.

I look at my machine when I get up to see my scores. I check OSCAR when I feel that things aren't quite right.

I used my first mask for over 4 years. That was a mistake.
Now I get about 6 months out of a mask. Sometime around then my mask starts to leak more than I think it should. First clue for me is that I've tightened the head gear a few times.

When I feel sleep quality isn't good, I check OSCAR and get towards purchasing a new mask. My DME is helpful. They loan me masks for a week.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 12:33 PM)DaveL Wrote: The wonderful thing about OSCAR is that I can monitor my symptoms and learn early on that trouble has started.

I look at my machine when I get up to see my scores. I check OSCAR when I feel that things aren't quite right.

I used my first mask for over 4 years. That was a mistake.
Now I get about 6 months out of a mask. Sometime around then my mask starts to leak more than I think it should.  First clue for me is that I've tightened the head gear a few times.

When I feel sleep quality isn't good, I check OSCAR and get towards purchasing a new mask. My DME is helpful. They loan me masks for a week.
Thanks DavidL
I took a nap about an hour ago posting Oscar results in my next post.

Results from an hour ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
today
Post Reply Post Reply
The wide area with the gray shading reflects time where your leak rate exceeded the level your machine can easily compensate for. You definitely need to work on fixing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 04:30 PM)WhyMe Wrote: The wide area with the gray shading reflects time where your leak rate exceeded the level your machine can easily compensate for.  You definitely need to work on fixing that.

Thanks WhyMe 
I was wondering why it was gray
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 04:30 PM)WhyMe Wrote: The wide area with the gray shading reflects time where your leak rate exceeded the level your machine can easily compensate for.  You definitely need to work on fixing that.

I think there is more air leaking from the vent than around than a mask to skin leak , the vent is constantly blowing air, and a lot of air is  leaking through the vent.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 05:15 AM)Apnearon Wrote:

I think there is more air leaking from the vent than around than a mask to skin leak , the vent is constantly blowing air, and a lot of air is  leaking through the vent.

The vent is meant to "leak" air - that's what it's there for. The vent draws away exhaled breath which is high in CO2. If it wasn't there you'd be rebreathing CO2 which is not a good thing.

However looking back over all your charts there is a constant major problem with large leaks. This suggests to me you're using the wrong mask for your face. Faces come in all shapes and sizes, and so do masks. The trick is to find the mask which suits you. This is why you need to work with your DME to try out a range of different types.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 05:44 AM)ODeepBreathing Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 05:15 AM)Apnearon Wrote:

The vent is meant to "leak" air - that's what it's there for. The vent draws away exhaled breath which is high in CO2. If it wasn't there you'd be rebreathing CO2 which is not a good thing.

However looking back over all your charts there is a constant major problem with large leaks. This suggests to me you're using the wrong mask for your face. Faces come in all shapes and sizes, and so do masks. The trick is to find the mask which suits you. This is why you need to work with your DME to try out a range of different types.

I’m going to try a nasal mask and tape my mouth shut and use a chinstrap and see if that works, I’m a side sleeper left side mainly and I can see that a full face mask against a pillow is probably the cause.
Thanks to all, I appreciate your help
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 07:40 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: How is your relationship with your DME? It's a good idea to try several different masks under pressure to see which suits you best. Can you book an hour with them and try out several different types of mask? (This should be done lying down, with pressure on). Also, see if they will do a 30 day return deal - try before you buy. Masks are expensive so it pays to try and get the best one to suit.

Sorry, I missed this post, I didn’t go through Medicare, and don’t have insurance, so I bought all with my own money. $570.00
The company I got mine from has worked with me, the Full mask I bought from them was a display mask, it was a Large, they gave me a Medium mask, and a Small mask.
I don’t think with out Insurance or Medicare they would  let me try out a nasal cushion mask, I think I going to buy a resmed c30i because it comes with Small, Medium, Large, mask inserts.
I’m almost convinced the Full face mask is never going to work for a side sleeper.
My concern with a nasal pillow is I may breath through my mouth, but I hear there is Tape and Chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Autopap pressure confusion HMG7450 9 766 05-09-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SnoNoMo
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Question Flow Limitation Confusion B1Sailor 3 668 10-15-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,222 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  [split] Confusion over PS equation (Discussion) Rubicon 17 1,387 04-18-2022, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Rubicon
  Confusion over PS equation David Clark 16 2,366 04-17-2022, 08:04 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.