Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Marks
Mask Marks
I have been awake for 6 hours and still have mask marks on my face.  I use a full face mask.  f30i

Anyone have insight to what is causing this?  I don't drink alcohol so it isn't that.

And apart from staying away from mirrors, any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Marks
Maybe consider mask strap cushions like the ones at Supplier #31.

I do have to ask, are the straps very tight to control leaks?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am always a cheapo .... before spending money at Supplier #31, try a home remedy first. If you have an old t-shirt cut it into pieces to go under your mask where you are finding marks. Be sure to cut a hole for your nose. Try one or two thicknesses. If it helps great.

Also do work on your mask tightness like Dave mentioned.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The marks are left over from pressure.  If they persist, you could have poor circulation there, or tissue that is going to not do well over the long term due to slow necrosis, and then due to poor circulation.  

I don't mean to alarm you, but for best health, minimize pressure points.   Patients in hospital who rely on care-givers to prevent bedsores get turned regularly for that very reason.  If you are depriving the surrounding tissue of blood supply for hours on end, that can't be a salutary arrangement.

It could be sleep position, it could be where you place your arms when in deep sleep, it could be over-tightened straps, it could be simply the wrong headgear for you due to original design or the shape of your head.  It could be that you have very little subcutaneous adipose tissue to spread out more of the pressure radially into surrounding tissue.

If the cushion itself is a good fit, and you're being well treated otherwise, then you must find another headgear or engineer wider pressure surfaces....different pads, more pads, pads placed in locations other than where they are making such long-lasting marks.

I don't know that I have done much for you, sorry, but if you like the cushion, figure out how to disperse some of the pressure or to share it between at least another set of pads.  Or, lighten up on the tension on the pads you're using.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had it really bad. I read somewhere on this forum that someone mentioned cleaning your face and mouth really well before putting on your clean, nicely washed mask ;-)

Since doing this now on a regular basis, all the redness from the mask has gone away. It was skin irritation. To eradicate the redness, I used a steroid cream prescribed by my doctor, and immediately began the daily cleaning regimen.

That was me---your mask could also be too tight. Over tightening is done a lot. It needs to be comfortably snug.

-Blessings
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started Sleep Apena Therapy, I was using an AirFit F20 FFM. It did leave a few marks here and there where it made contact with my face. 

But after a couple of weeks, my face apparently adjusted and they went away. They haven't been an issue since.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] AirFit P10 clip leaving marks deputypork 2 501 02-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  White stains/marks after cleaning LetMezz 4 1,301 05-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Ladies, anything for mask marks? Utah Desert Rat 20 1,902 01-15-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Utah Desert Rat
  Mask leaving face marks jmmdh1 6 871 10-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Last Post: jmmdh1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.