Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leak and uncomfortable pressure
Mask leak and uncomfortable pressure
I can't even use my machine for more than a few seconds due to the discomfort it causes. It gives a heavy feeling in my chest and feels like there is too much pressure on the inhale. The mask leak test always fails.

My settings/mask are in the sidebar under my username. I have VAuto enabled. I tried it with a low pressure on CPAP but and also made IPAP=EPAP but it's the same issue. I also have a thick beard and moustache, not sure if that is a factor. When I previously had a Phillips Dreamstation, I could somewhat sleep with a nasal mask without this discomfort, but I am concerned that I mouth breathe so want to use a full face mask.

I've attached copies of my sleep studies: first is in-lab, second is at home (only got 2 hours of sleep in the home one).
https://docdro.id/zDH0brw
https://docdro.id/BMxyQ16

I'm really not sure what to do. Doctor said there is absolutely nothing wrong, but an ENT and my aunt who is a sleep doctor told me that I do possibly have mild apnea/UARS as well as limb movements (I definitely experience the RLS during the day as well). I have a close and distant uncle who were both diagnosed and benefit from CPAPs. Please help.

Attached Files
.pdf   doc1.pdf (Size: 951.91 KB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   doc2.pdf (Size: 388 KB / Downloads: 4)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leak and uncomfortable pressure
Can you please post your daily charts from OSCAR. That will give us a better idea of what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said in my post, I can't use it for more than a few seconds, so I can't collect enough data for Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's getting that uncomfortable that fast we want to see what is happening And what your settings are.
Otherwise set min= max=4. The machines minimium and we can start there.
It would be better if range was 4-6
Post Reply Post Reply
So I should just try sleeping with those settings? What about the mask leak? I always fail the test
Post Reply Post Reply
You have to really try to get it right with these mask. “ I have a box full of them”. The best tip I can give you is this. “ Don’t tighten the mask because it leaks “. It’s the opposite!

These mask are designed to flex in order to seal. The soft silicone under pressure expands and completes the seal. It’s opposite what we know in life when something leaks make it tighter.

Be patient, experiment, and make small adjustments. Make these adjustments laying in the sleeping position. Tighten each side equally. It’s a basic individual technique that we all have to master before we can move forward . Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, longtermsufferer  Here are some references regarding masks and mask fitting:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! | Apnea Board

It might be worth trying a nasal pillow mask as it's easier to get a good fit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.