Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask type for active side sleepers
RE: Mask type for active side sleepers
I have Had good success with resmed f10 and great success with p10.

The f10 is a FFM which floats on your face with an air cushion and has 4 anchors so it's pretty forgiving if you move about too much.

The P10 is amazing. I wear it fairly loose and Most nights I have 0 (zero) unintentional leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
How does the P10 compare with other masks on the effort required to exhale? I wish I had taken notes on the masks I tried but I found the nasal pillow I tried at my sleep study very hard to exhale through. I ended up getting the resmed Mirage FX nasal mask but I feel like I'm constantly worried about my position knocking it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
jspence, the P10 supplies pressure directly, and people sensitive to exhale pressure can feel uncomfortable. Your machine provides up to 3 cm exhale pressure relief, so you could use EPR to deal with that. I'm personally not aware of an exhale effort using 3 cm of relief, and our pressure is not very different.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
35 years ago as a new nurse. took care of a patient with severe sleep apnea. Sats dropped quite often into the 40s. After a few work-ups for narcolepsy and petit - mal seizures. Talked with the Pulmonary doc. Sleep apnea lined up with my symptoms. First came surgery then came meds, show up for work awake with strap marks on my face. After treatment for sleep apnea i awoke every morning thinking how I used to wake with a hangover and didn't know it. I am a very active sleeper and was involved in several studies -including one using a snore ball. All I can say is I use a nasal mask and strap it on tight. A nasal pillow trial was totally in vain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Activa LT works well for me. I sleep 100 percent on side. Change sides during night. It is comfortable and I have no issues breathing with it. I have yet to have anything 1/2 as good.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask experience is limited. I've only tried the ResMed AirFit F20 and F30. For me, the F20 works best. 

I'm a hard core side sleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure there is a best mask type for all active side sleepers. I have also had no problems with the F20 FF mask and am a both sides and back sleeper at different times of the night. Previously I used the Quatro FX FF mask with minimal leak problems.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use both Nasal Pillows and Full Face masks for all positions. I've found that it seems to have a lot to do with the pillow type you use. A buckwheat hull in my case.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Another active side sleeper using a f20 full face mask here. I’ve used 3 different types of nasal pillow masks as well as several different full face masks. The f20 is the best so far. As Red stated, pillow choice can make a big difference. I use a buckwheat pillow as well.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
ditto the buckwheat pillow. I mostly side sleep, rotating a lot. supine leads to problems. the buckwheat pillow minimizes shifting and distorting the mask. I use the airfit p10 nasal pillow mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,926 3 hours ago
Last Post: DaveL
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 518 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,089 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 514 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 315 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 325 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 447 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.