Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maybe I have apnea, maybe not, are all sleep doc jerks?
RE: Maybe I have apnea, maybe not, are all sleep doc jerks?
my 2 cents: if you want insurance to pay you have to jump through hoops. it's an uphill battle, takes time and you'll have to educate & convince the 'authorities' about stuff they should know but few do.

alternatively, unless you can find a better informed and patient responsive sleep doc, you can find used vautos around for roughly $100 to $750. if it works better for you, your oscar or resscan charts should be enough to get an rx for it if necessary. if it doesn't work as hoped, you can easily resell it.

btw, your comments about your hand issues rang a bell for me as I have similar problems (inflammation, swelling, redness, tendon issues like trigger fingers, can't make a fist, and lately my hands repeatedly 'fall asleep' during sleep). I had been thinking I just have to live with it but now I think I'll get it checked out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 06:51 AM)Gideon Wrote: You have a sleep study coming up.  Ask for a split study with the NP.  BUT this is with and without the cervical collar and both on your back.
Those results should be interesting. 

Actually don't know whether this is enough to get me another sleep study. My experience with sleep medicine all along has been that if I don't take control of my data and my machine and my health that I'll be dead long before any of these clowns figure out anything to help me.

(I started this adventure on May 12, 2014 with an ApneaLink home study which showed an AHI of 8, RI of 14, and had a desat down to 79%. Which got me a sleep study on July 29, 2014, where I had an AHI of 15, (9/45 NREM/REM) and the verdict was "moderately severe obstructive sleep apnea with associated hypoxemia and sleep disruption -- minimum SpO2 of 80%. My first night on therapy was October 10, 2014 -- five freaking months after the 79% desat that was the bottom of 18 minutes of saturation <= 90%. When my PA called me like 3 hours after I turned in the ApneaLink device she was clearly freaked out by the desats -- but obviously no one else felt any need to hurry!)

This time too they have been extraordinarily casual about reacting to events. The second sleep study -- with the AHI of 18 -- got me a phone call 4 days later and they did renew my prescription at the DME. (And to be fair, my sleep study was Holy Thursday night, Good Friday through Easter Monday are holidays at a Catholic hospital, and so 4 days later was Tuesday after Easter and the first workday after the study.)

This is the front page of the report:
[attachment=31827]
which was signed by Dr Wizard with his fancy credentials: "Diplomat, ABIM-SleepMedicine and ABPN"

Obviously didn't remember the whole argument about carpal tunnel and back sleeping, or that he recommended psychiatric treatment rather than sleep therapy because it was clearly all in my head. I brought my data card with me to the consultation, and the tech disappeared with it and then brought it back later, but it's hard to imagine that he actually looked at the data. Here's what would have been the most recent data on the card, the night before I drove the 70 miles to my appointment:
[attachment=31828]
Yeah, right, nuthin to see there!

(04-28-2021, 06:51 AM)Gideon Wrote: 2nd thought. UARS and a clinic that was trained by Dr. Barry Krakow.  They know flow limits and how to manage them.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

Yeah I've thought of something like that... My husband is a college physics professor, so I know something about what motivates research scientists. Part of what makes me think that sleep medicine  aren't serious is that paying attention to me and people like me would clearly be worth multiple publications!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 12:59 PM)isheepless Wrote: btw, your comments about your hand issues rang a bell for me as I have similar problems (inflammation, swelling, redness, tendon issues like trigger fingers, can't make a fist, and lately my hands repeatedly 'fall asleep' during sleep). I had been thinking I just have to live with it but now I think I'll get it checked out.

I have both psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis, and last fall along with everything else I managed to give myself De Quervain's Tendonitis in my right wrist. I had a cortisone shot in my wrist two days after the November sleep study. My rheumatologist sent me to physical therapy in March and they gave me two wrist exercises for the carpal tunnel which seem to work pretty well. And those wrist splints that Dr Wizard wanted to tell me would solve all my problems? Yeah, I have professional-grade splints that I got back in 2009 and have been wearing off and on since. Actually was wearing a brace on my right wrist during both sleep studies!

Hand and wrist stuff is pretty scary. OMG -- I couldn't post 1000-word rambling rants on apneaboard if my hands become crippled!
Post Reply Post Reply
The path of least resistance is the one I follow. I bought a used Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto recently from a seller in Colorado, and it works great. Best part is, it cost only $175 including shipping. Well, 6300 hours is okay, right? I have pointed you to deals before, so I don't expect you to do this one either. Thee is a "new" Aircurve 10 Vauto in a suburb of Chicago (Westchester), advertising on Craigslist at $400. Still a good deal. Airsense 10 For Her with 1-hour in Chicago for $300

I am under the impression you know exactly what you need to do, and that even with the collar, you are going to sleep better with pressure support. Just keep your prescription in effect so masks and other stuff is covered, and keep the Autoset that is easy to get for backup, or that summer home in the Hampton's.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SR....and Off Topic but in same vein,  there may be a need  your are helping:

Looking to see what VAutos were out there for such as cathyf, I saw an AirCurve ASV in Lincoln, Neb, CL for $400. I got a used VAuto in '19 for $300 through OfferUp--taking the  path of least resistance with only my FL to complain about, the OSA whipped by AutoSet.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
It appears far more often that the Three Amigos fail us. DME's, Dr. McQuack's, and insurance combine together to treat us with ignorance. If we attempt to fight them, we are tempted to stoop to their level of idiocy where they inevitably beat us with their superior experience.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 05:37 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: ...we are tempted to stoop to their level of idiocy where they inevitably beat us with their superior experience.

Wow, you speak deep truth here, Dave Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. It's an Apnea patient's experience speaking there ma'am. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 02:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The path of least resistance is the one I follow. I bought a used Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto recently from a seller in Colorado, and it works great. Best part is, it cost only $175 including shipping.  Well, 6300 hours is okay, right?   I have pointed you to deals before, so I don't expect you to do this one either.  Thee is a "new" Aircurve 10 Vauto in a suburb of Chicago (Westchester), advertising on Craigslist at $400.  Still a good deal.  Airsense 10 For Her with 1-hour in Chicago for $300

I am under the impression you know exactly what you need to do, and that even with the collar, you are going to sleep better with pressure support.  Just keep your prescription in effect so masks and other stuff is covered, and keep the Autoset that is easy to get for backup, or that summer home in the Hampton's.

Back on April 16th I found a "resmed Aircurve 10 vauto  Cpap/ bipap - $350" on craigslist in Springfield, which is only 140 miles from me and a pretty great price. I've never bought anything on craigslist (we don't have a list anywhere closer than 50-60 miles from me) so I don't how it works There was a "message seller" email (a long gobblygook string @sale.craigslist.org) on the listing, and I sent an email to it, but got no response at all. It seems to have disappeared. I tried to search for "resmed Aircurve 10 vauto" within 600 miles of my zip code and came up with nothing, even though Westchester is only 200 miles from me.

Any ideas other than craigslist?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and Dave you are the wiki editor?

I bought another one of the cervical collars and I'm planning to cut it and remove about 4 inches from the length and then stitch it back together. If I take some pictures and write up a detailed set of instructions, would you pit it on the wiki?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.