Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Measuring current draw on CPAP for battery calcuilations
RE: Measuring current draw on CPAP for battery calcuilations
(07-15-2017, 09:16 AM)silversnore Wrote: I have a clamp for measuring amperage.  I have large electric dc motors that draw in excess of 100 amps, and my multi meter will not accommodate those loads.  I would not be without a multi meter.  It is the best diagnostic tool period.  Everyone should have one and know how to use it.

Agree except for the last bit.
And everyone should have a go at brain surgery or dabble with other stuff they know nothing about. Hey what could go wrong...
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2017, 05:11 PM)WomblingFree Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 09:16 AM)silversnore Wrote: I have a clamp for measuring amperage.  I have large electric dc motors that draw in excess of 100 amps, and my multi meter will not accommodate those loads.  I would not be without a multi meter.  It is the best diagnostic tool period.  Everyone should have one and know how to use it. [emphasis added]

And everyone should have a go at brain surgery or dabble with other stuff they know nothing about. Hey what could go wrong...

There's a bit of difference in testing that stray AA battery you find in a drawer to see if it has juice or if it's dead - and doing brain surgery.  Testing batteries ain't no where near rocket science or brain surgery.

Battery stuff like that gets done a few times a year or month or so around my house.  Brain surgery, pretty much never have a need.  Besides, you have to have a license to cut up living brains.  There is no such requirement for using a voltmeter/ohmmeter/ ammeter.  

And no, dropping batteries on a hard surface to see which ones bounce or stand up or whatever is not a valid means to test battery charge.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I know how to change a battery that's about it. But I saw your name and reminded me of Tom Petty. I love that song! Wink
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Fun fact - Reset the currnt meter average when I got up today to see what current is pulled when off. It's not zero - my PR SysOne 560 draws 67 milliamps when turned off. Board, clock, memory I guess.....

OMMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2017, 05:11 PM)WomblingFree Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 09:16 AM)silversnore Wrote: I have a clamp for measuring amperage.  I have large electric dc motors that draw in excess of 100 amps, and my multi meter will not accommodate those loads.  I would not be without a multi meter.  It is the best diagnostic tool period.  Everyone should have one and know how to use it.

I agree that a neophyte should not probe around dangerous electrical loads nor should he try to fly a plane without proper instruction.  Everything we encounter these days relies on some sort of electrical controller or powered by electricity.  Being prepared to try to trouble shoot a car that want start or a light that will not turn on is certainly a plus when there is not mechanic anywhere around.  Understanding electricity is not a difficult task should one choose to explore the principals.  Brain surgery on the other hand........ not something that I want to do unless I spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we need to apply the Laplace Transform.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
the only thing that i can derive is a car
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
RESULTS
From my 35 AH battery, I should get 24 hours or 3 nights use with the humogrificator set at *2*; I should get almost 58 hours or 8 nights use with the humogrificator set at *0*;

From my 39 AH battery, I should get 27 hours or almost 4 nights use with the humogirficator set at *2*; I should get more than 64 hours  or 9 nights with the humogrificator set at *0*.

Oh, and just to see, I tried a swampy humogrificator setting of 4 and that REALLY sucked juice.  it cut run time for that relatively sizable 35 AH batter to a miserable one and a half nights.

Notes:
Calculation based on nominal AH Rating of the battery divided by 150% of measured current draw or Hours = AH / i*1.5)
In the calculations I use 1.5 or 150% to include that pesky 50% safety margin for sub-optimal battery condition or Mr Murphey's take.....
Current (i) measured using Agilent (nee HP Test & Measurement Division) U1233A multimeter
Phillips Respironics System ONE 560 Auto PAP, with humogrificator but NO HEATED HOSE
Sleepyhead data for hours, pressures, ahi for corresponding nights

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,437 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 253 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.