Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medical Adhesive Allergy
Medical Adhesive Allergy
Although my CPAP Therapy is generally going well, I still have a mouth leak problem with my N20 nasal mask.  I have tried a mouthpiece and that really didn't work well.   I have a fairly severe allergy to medical adhesives.   A simple bandaid causes hives that take several days to clear.   I am not allergic to the adhesive in the 3M Micropore tape and that is working ok and has reduced my mouth leaks quite a bit, but not completely.   I am curious if anyone else has a similar allergy and if there are any suggestions for other types of tape that might work.    I always test any anything designed to stick to me on a spot on my forearm before I ever stick it on my face as I am ugly enough without hives around my mouth Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medical Adhesive Allergy
Greyghost1962, Welcome to the forum!

I am right there with you.  Cannot tolerate any type of medical adhesives without getting the burns/welts.  I never have found any suitable tape to use as a replacement.

I use the F30 mask so mouth breathing is not an issue for me.

Have you considered a chinstrap of some sort to help with the mouth leaks?  There is one in the Suppliers List that may help, it's a slightly different design than most.  Have a look at #37.  

Hope you find something......
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I gather, then, that you are looking for a suitable replacement/improvement over the Micropore.  IOW, it's just not quite good enough, and you'd really like to find something better...?

I wonder if it would be useful to contact 3M and ask for their help.  Do they have other tapes, other adhesives, which are specialized and not likely to be found on store shelves?  Nurses at hospitals will probably know of some specialized tapes for people who can't tolerate latex-based or other common variant adhesives.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2020, 06:05 PM)mesenteria Wrote:  Nurses at hospitals will probably know of some specialized tapes for people who can't tolerate latex-based or other common variant adhesives.

Not in my experiences.  They just know what is in the supply closet, nothing else.  Or tell you it's hypoallergenic which really doesn't mean much.

I cant speak for the OP but it's not the latex that bothers me.  I can wear latex gloves all day long and have no reaction.  It's the chemical compound that makes up the medical adhesive that burns like mad.  Surgical tape, sensor pads, wound bandages, any of them.  The micropore tape may use a different adhesive formula though, I never tried it.

I think asking around at 3M is a good idea.  Time for some emails.....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is something else some people use; although it is expensive. Has a name like somnifex or something similar. Someone here might know the correct name. But if you Google it, it will probably turn up.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Found it, search for SomniFix Mouth Strips.
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same allergy.  After my sleep study, it took 2 to 3 months for the redness to go away from where they had adhered the microphone.

My best advice is to find a mask that works better for you. 

In my experience, if I am opening my mouth while wearing a nasal mask it means the nasal mask does not exhaust my exhaled air enough for my body. So I have found a different nasal mask that vents better, or I have used a full face mask that vents better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2020, 01:30 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 06:05 PM)mesenteria Wrote:  Nurses at hospitals will probably know of some specialized tapes for people who can't tolerate latex-based or other common variant adhesives.

Not in my experiences.  They just know what is in the supply closet, nothing else.  Or tell you it's hypoallergenic which really doesn't mean much.

I cant speak for the OP but it's not the latex that bothers me.  I can wear latex gloves all day long and have no reaction.  It's the chemical compound that makes up the medical adhesive that burns like mad.  Surgical tape, sensor pads, wound bandages, any of them.  

Same here to all of the above... except I react to latex also.  But the reaction I have to the adhesive is slightly different from my reaction to latex.  This adhesive reaction (for me) is like a chemical burn.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - this is all helpful.   I did find some of the somnifix and they came in yesterday.   I am going to check the results to see how they did.   They are a bit pricey for sure.   Like others, I have no problems at all with latex.   I don't know all the different adhesives that are problematic or aren't, but I do know that the acrylate and polyacrylate like are in the steri-strips are bad.   Some products don't list the type of adhesive on the product or on the webpage which means often it's trial and error.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry I can't add to the advice on this sticky subject. It appears others have assisted, and that I hope you find a good replacement to the irritating tape. I myself do not tape, nor in fact do I PAP or sleep much right now, but even so I don't tape as there's likely not a tape strong enough to keep me from spouting some info, useful or not.

Dont-know nobody here really knows what I'll say next, sorry for the shock. They have accidentally let me outta the cage and I'm skipping merrily or madly about running amok, creating havoc and torment and a few good bits of info mixed in for good measure. I am not biased, I treat everyone equally badly. Good day to ya.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 1,026 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape Deborah K. 11 1,465 10-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  My medical provider called me, they want to schedule my titration study. Should I go? Phil487 8 1,100 07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 482 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa
  3B Medical Luna Auto CPAP PaulaBunyan 4 1,967 06-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: johndoh670
  Stress, Medical Procedures, and Centrals mesenteria 2 632 05-13-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Allergy Filter Follow-Up FLcracker 1 538 11-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.