Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare Question - Replacement Machine
Medicare Question - Replacement Machine
I requested a replacement machine from my DME, Verus Healthcare (an Adapt Company), and they said they would contact my doctor for "documentation" which they refused to explain.

Does anyone know what documentation Medicare actually requires?  From the questions they were asking, it sounded like what they say when I order supplies.

Thanks,

Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare Question - Replacement Machine
They have to receive an order from a doctor for CPAP therapy.  May also need the results of a sleep study so they can set the machine up.  My DME wouldn't even talk  to me until they received the order and study results!  DMEs tend to be a pain to work with.  Fortunately I discovered apneaBoard and OSCAR around the time I was to receive a new machine and didn't need the DME once the equipment arrived.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ withtao

Thanks. I sent my last sleep study (done in 2016) to the DME along with the original Rx at the time of my request.  
I sent the last 90 days of therapy in the ResMed ResScan format to my doctor with a note about the machine I wanted and the settings I am using. 

I guess I will now play the waiting game.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
My first sleep study was 2015, my PCP ordered a new on for 9/1/2022 in anticipation of the DME demanding a more recent one.  That helped in my getting the Air Sense 11 on 9/28 after the PCP sent the order to the DME.  The insurance provider and insurance regulations are behind a lot of this.

Went thru similar hassle getting an O2 concentrator when I discovered I had very low O2 while sleeping using an oximeter I purchased.  I was able to use the results from my oximeter and OSCAR to convince my PCP, which in turn convinced the Medicare Advantage insurance provider.

You're in the right place at aneaboard and using OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like the DME is requiring a (LMN) from your doctor.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...sity_(LMN)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this the first machine you are getting under medicare? When I was in that situation I had 2 things going on. Upgrading from APAP to BiLevel. Doc ordered a split test but the diagnostic study didn't go as planned, I only got 1 hr and 59 minutes of sleep of the required 2 hrs. The tech fudged it in. Anyway the study was needed by medicare since my previous was over 10 yrs old.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ Gideon -- no, this is a replacement.
@OpalRose -- thanks. Now I know what to ask for when I talk with the Doctor's office on Monday.

Is there a time limit on Sleep Studies? My last one was in 2016, and not much has changed. I am under 1 most of the time with a rare 2+.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this the first machine you are getting under medicare? When I was in that situation I had 2 things going on. Upgrading from APAP to BiLevel. Doc ordered a split test but the diagnostic study didn't go as planned, I only got 1 hr and 59 minutes of sleep of the required 2 hrs. The tech fudged it in. Anyway the study was needed by medicare since my previous was over 10 yrs old.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 133 20,346 29 minutes ago
Last Post: inthedesert
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 93 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,082 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 253 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 274 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 293 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,957 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.