Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medistrom battery backup
Medistrom battery backup
Anyone try the medistrom backup battery solution?

The interesting thing about the medistrom is it behaves as an ups for your cpap, but is a li ion capable of running all night in a very small size.

Better than a 200 dollar computer ups that will die in a few hours, and better than the resmed battery back up which does not have the ups function.

As far as I can tell, still needs a separate line protector...no big deal.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medistrom battery backup
Not heard of them but it sounds like a good thing. Just wish they had a list of where to buy vs having to call to get a list. How...quaint.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen this advertised on Supplier #10.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2015, 02:24 PM)Cygnus Wrote: The interesting thing about the medistrom is it behaves as an ups for your cpap, but is a li ion capable of running all night in a very small size.

Unfortunately, physics rears it's ugly head yet again. There's no way this will run a normal CPAP machine all night.

From their web page: "Capacity: 100 Wh", which means that it will run a Respironics machine for about 4 hours if the humidifier isn't on. If the humidifier is on, it will handle maybe 2 hours. That isn't much of a backup, although it's probably better than nothing if you have frequent, short power failures.

If you want to know how many hours it will run your machine, check the power supply for "watts" and divide 100 by the number you find. This will be a little on the "short" side, since machines typically don't use the full power supply rating, but generally run at 60% - 70% depending on pressure and humidifier settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Seems kind of expensive for 2 hours - a decent computer UPS can do that for less money, seems to me. It is smaller and less intrusive, though. Be interested to hear is anyone actually uses this what your experience has been.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am considering a battery backup. Living in NE Ohio in summer we experience a lot of storms and power outages. It never bothered me before I was on CPAP, but don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with the power off, and no CPAP!
This product seems a bit overpriced though for what I would need it for. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 11:04 AM)parkerdt Wrote: Seems kind of expensive for 2 hours - a decent computer UPS can do that for less money, seems to me. It is smaller and less intrusive, though. Be interested to hear is anyone actually uses this what your experience has been.

Well medistrom claims the battery will run 10+ hours. Someone else theorized that's impossible with the power output quoted. This is why I'm looking for someone who might own it. To see what the real battery life is.

I tend to side with medistrom at this point because Resmed has a very similar li ion that they also claim +10 hour battery life which has been confirmed. The Resmed is about the same price but does not have the ups function, making the medistrom a better deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I can't find Medistrom's exact claim for a ResMed A10 AutoSet. But if they in fact claim 10 hours, I'd be tempted to get one to try and return when it only gets 1 or 2 hours with the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea...I found it on amazon but I can't get details on the return policy for the seller...so easy return is not guaranteed....
Post Reply Post Reply
If somebody had an DeVillbiss Intellipap, they could leave it hooked to a backup battery all the time, and plugged into the wall. It would automagically switch to the DC source when the AC source was interrupted, then switch back to AC automagically when the AC power returned without anyone knowing. i do not know why Resmed is so hostile to their customers that they don't do something similar. Respironics too. But Resmed makes it double hard in using a 24 V system.

It ain't that hard to do.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 116 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,343 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,831 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 203 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 309 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 251 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,443 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.