Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Melatonin
Melatonin
I occasionally use 2 mg of Melatonin to help me fall asleep. What are your thoughts on using this.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Melatonin
I've used it. My personal opinion is that 2 mg is too much. Use the lowest strength you can obtain.
Since melatonin is produced naturally, keep the room as dark as possible; and avoid looking at computer, phone and TV screens in the hour before bed time.

My iPhone has a feature that lessens the blue light at sunset. There is a similar program available for windows computers.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 07:40 AM)justMongo Wrote: My iPhone has a feature that lessens the blue light at sunset.  There is a similar program available for windows computers.

Windows 10 has it built in, Go to display settings and turn on night light.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 11:02 AM)DavePaulson Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 07:40 AM)justMongo Wrote: My iPhone has a feature that lessens the blue light at sunset.  There is a similar program available for windows computers.

I have the ancient Windows 7 and I'm wondering if there is any such setting for night time viewing as is mentioned above?

I also use Melatonin and I had a doctor tell me not to use any more than 9 mg at any given time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 12:12 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 11:02 AM)DavePaulson Wrote:

I have the ancient Windows 7 and I'm wondering if there is any such setting for night time viewing as is mentioned above?

I also use Melatonin and I had a doctor tell me not to use any more than 9 mg at any given time.

Google "f.lux" you can get it for free.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melatonin, except in very high doses (like 10 mg), has never done much for me. But then, it is not usually GOING to sleep, but the STAYING asleep part I have trouble with. And I think even the higher doses wear off after a few hours so I'm right back to the start.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought melatonin might help but in my case, I have way to much not to little.   No change in my numbers but got delirium so I stopped it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never felt Melatonin was effective for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have found that melatonin can help, but we especially like sustained release brands. The one have been taking for many months now is 3 mg released over 6 hours or so. You can find at least one brand on the Internet; can't say that I have ever seen a sustained release version at a drug store. I have also received mailings from another company that has a dual release pill (.3 milligrams IR, and a second similar release 6 hours later). It is much more expensive that the sustained release that we use so we have not tried the dual release brand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very short term use of things like Ambien or Lunesta can help. Don't take long term as it has a very deep hook.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Melatonin: Yea, Nay, or other Rcgop 20 1,069 02-27-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Melatonin kubakat 3 446 10-12-2023, 12:57 PM
Last Post: kubakat
  Melatonin + CPAP = Success gainerfull 4 1,129 04-25-2022, 08:30 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Health] Blue light kills your melatonin levels Omercpap 19 2,335 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Melatonin dosages PaulaO2 23 7,691 04-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  Melatonin recommendation for Senior luckydxx 5 1,607 04-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Last Post: luckydxx

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.