Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mid night walks
Wink 
Mid night walks
I used to be a regular mid night pee break sleeper. I can't remember for how long, but like a lot of men it was just one of those things. I have been using CPAP for two years now and a few months ago the pee breaks just stopped, and I sleep through the night without the urge to get up.   Cool   Out of curiosity, has anyone else seen the benefits of CPAP like this? And , anyone want to venture a theory as to why?  As an aside, I am suffering from a complete rotor cuff tear and while I am waiting for surgery to repair it I am using a pillow to support my left shoulder. As I do not move around in bed now my 95% leak rate is mostly zero. That is a bonus. Even when my shoulder is fixed I may keep the pillow to support me during the night. It is strangely comforting now.   

James
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mid night walks
Yes, I too stopped my trips. Before CPAP, I went as many as 3 times. I think it has to do with the fact you are actually sleeping now.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine to . Pee breaks went down to maybe 1 a nite.
Post Reply Post Reply
I discovered that pillow nicety after surgery, too. Now, I have a pillow for both shoulders!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only been on CPAP for 3 or 4 weeks and I've went from 2 to 3 bathroom trips a night to 0 the last 3 nights in a row. I'm convinced that I wasn't sleeping deep enough for my body to stop producing urine while I slept. And when I wake up, I naturally had to go. Although I did go right back to sleep, I rarely slept over 3 straight. The last 3 nights, I've slept all the way through (7 to 8 hours). I hope that continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the American Sleep Apnea Association:

Nocturia (nighttime urination) is so prevalent in sleep apnea patients it has become a screening tool as significant as snoring. A research study showed that over 84% of patients with sleep apnea reported frequent nighttime urination while 82% acknowledged snoring.

How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”

The good news is that many people who have nocturia due to their untreated sleep apnea find that it totally resolves once they become cpap compliant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Started pap from 6 to 8 trip down to zero in less than 20 days of therapy. No more midnight stroll.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
While we're on the subject, I'd like to nominate this smilie  Dancing as our board's official micturition run mascot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2017, 11:55 PM)Sheepish Wrote: While we're on the subject, I'd like to nominate this smilie  Dancing  as our board's official micturition  run mascot.

Hahaha i give my vote!
So if we going to say "i woke up 5 times last night to go toilet".

It should be translated to "I  Dancing 5 times last night" efficient communication. Haha
Post Reply Post Reply
Before  starting apnea treatment .... i started taking BP medication....nighttime trips ended in a couple days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.