Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Motor life exceeded
RE: Motor life exceeded
The Motor Exceed message came up on my S9 a few months ago....

Best I start looking for a new machine?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, newer, anyway... the AS11 is only going to the US, AFAIK, and stock on the AS10 is pretty low in North America

My AS10 is nearly 7 years old, 18000 hours, so I'm hoping it will make it to next summer
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just noticed my S9 has the "motor life exceeded...." message at a little over 22000 hours like everyone else.   So does anyone know what this actually means?  My suspicion is that the manufacture has a motor life MTBF rating and they just program it into the display to scare their customers into getting new machine.  If a motor ever actually fails the manufacture can claim they provided ample warning to get the unit serviced.  I am assuming that if there was something actually wrong with the motor there would be different error message.  This also probably kills the machines for the used market too unless there is a way to clear the message.  I would prefer to just keep my old machine without the message.  Does anyone know a way to clear the message?
Post Reply Post Reply
If they are using a calculated MTBF, it is the inverse of the sum of the FIT (failures in time)of all the components. MTBF indicates the peak of a bell shaped curve. Half of the population will not make it to MTBF, and the remaining units will run much longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a better question to ask a population of Resmed cpap users regarding this motor notification message is:  Has anyone experienced a motor failure of any kind, and if so, at what total hour count?
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across a CPAP supplier servicer that has discussion of the motor issue in some detail.   Anyway it does look that I will need a new motor fairly soon and apparently it can be replaced for 200$ or so.  Not so bad.   I am not  allowed to post links in this forum yet but if you search on "S9 Repairs Advanscpap" I am sure you will find the same write up and QA.  Very informative.
Post Reply Post Reply
23,860 hours on an S9 VPAP Auto here, and that message has been flashing at me for months now. So, the message is triggered solely by the run hours and not by any sort of internal diagnostics, is that correct? My nightly data has changed markedly in that same timeframe. Just a coincidence?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2019, 04:55 AM)worthog Wrote: Hi team, my S9 Resmed has a message desplayed - Motor life exceeded, please contact service provider
Any help on what I should do

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid455167

John vk3hjq  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a non-critical error to serve as a warning that it is time to replace the machine. Your machine has logged more hours than the mean time between failure based on the manufacturer's data and testing. It will continue to work, but it's time to shop.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,905 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,366 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 276 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,262 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.