Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Motor life exceeded
RE: Motor life exceeded
Carry on regardless........ but perhaps have a new/spare machine on hand, just in case the current one does fail.  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2019, 06:47 PM)CPAPSC Wrote: ... I just checked my machine and it has over 14000 hours on it. ... mine is nearing its life span of 5 years in service.

This is good to know. I can only hope my Airsense 10 Autoset will last that long (barely 320 hours running). Assuming 8 hours of use a day, 14,000 hours equal 1,750 days or roughly 4 years, 9 months, 2 weeks. Your S9's are tough!
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 currently has 18,000 hours!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2019, 08:51 AM)Needhelp2 Wrote: My S9 currently has 18,000 hours!

I would be looking to get a replacement and consign this one to backup duty
Post Reply Post Reply
I completely agree. I’m working on getting a BIPAP script due to flow limitation issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just checked and my S9 has 24,667 hours. I think the message showed up around 20,000 hrs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2019, 05:12 PM)HL649 Wrote: I just checked and my S9 has 24,667 hours.  I think the message showed up around 20,000 hrs.

Amazing! When I consulted with the sleep doc for interpretation of the result of my sleep study I asked what equipment was used on me. She said, Resmed S9. This has got to be the machine with one of the best motors in the industry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buy a new machine. Keep the old one as a backup. While it may keep working another 10,000 hours, chances are that it will fail at a time that your doc will demand you get a new sleep study before you get another machine. Several months later.... you might get your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
22,046 hours on ResMed S9 Autoset
I heard a very soft beep this morning that woke me up (after 7.5 hours, so I close to waking up anyway)
Looking at the screen (after finding some glasses), I had the dreaded motor life exceeded warning.
Found the motor run time in the normal menu system under the wrench icon.

Went into the Clinician Menu system to get the setting values I needed (min pressure/max pressure, etc...).  Probably should take a picture of those values for safe keeping.

For what it is worth, I have my CPAP on a light switch, so I turn it off every morning, and back on at night.  I dislike wasting phantom power.
That naturally led me to ask, how much power?  So I used my handy Kill-a-Watt meter this morning to test.
6 watts (@ 120V) when idle (or *gasp* 96 watts for 16 hours each day).  Ok, not much, but that is still roughly 35 kWh per year.
22 watts (@ 120V) when running (at lowest setting).  Which means I've use roughly 176 watts each night (likely more as the pressure ramps up) and
485 kWh used while sleeping over the life of the unit (well worth it).

The warning popped up again during the testing.  I pressed the dial button and it went away. 
However, since I now understand what the CPAP does for my sleep cycle, I know I do not want to live without it.
Time to go get another machine.  But now, that leads to which one? 
The S9 has done great for me.  A bit bulky while traveling, but still works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the ResMed 9 AutoSet has done well just get the newer 10 series AutoSet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,114 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,911 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,368 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 279 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,265 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.