Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth tape and data from OSCAR
RE: Mouth tape and data from OSCAR
Mr. Bonjour,
Thank you for your encouraging message.  It is good to know that those obstructive apneas were not too significant.
Also I appreciate the link to the cervical collar info which i have downloaded and your assessment of my need for that.
I tried the mouth tape again but had another difficulty --  I could not fall asleep. I find that after I have a good night sleep (perhaps 6-7 hours sleep and feel rested) the following night my body punishes me by not letting me fall asleep very quickly, or if I fall asleep i wake up in a couple of hours and can't go back to sleep. I think my ENT doctor said this is  an age-related issue == i am over 70  .  Obviously  not a cpap issue, correct?   Looks like I went off topic here -- perhaps this should be on a new thread>?
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,
Thank you = I was wondering about that.  It seems that disturbances in the flow rate pattern (not sure if i have the right terminology) coincide with low pressure, so i will definitely try raising the minimum pressure .... I think i will go directly from 4 to 6.6 or 7.....  I still feel sleepy but i figure that is because if am not  sleeping long enough,(because i often can't fall back asleep during wee morning hours once I wake up).  I sleep maybe 5.5-6.5 hours on average.  Who knows, maybe with the higher minimum pressure i'll sleep straight through the night, (I also increased maximum slightly). Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2020, 04:50 PM)sleepyp Wrote: I've found that my jaw still drops with mouth tape. Personally, I still have to wear a cervical collar. The collar stops my jaw dropping and the 2" 3M tape stops that air leaking out of my lips. MY AHI is 2-3 higher without the cervical collar.
Worth a try with both for week and compare averages with and without.
Ah, yes, that makes a lot of sense.  Thank you for your sharing your experience.  However, I'm trying to simplify my equipment at this stage so I am
going to hold off on the collar for now i think.
Post Reply Post Reply
Min pressure should not be less than 4 + EPR = 4 +3 =7 since your EPR = 3.
It can be higher. And I feel that without a specific reason, min pressure for adults should never be less than 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2020, 06:26 PM)bonjour Wrote: Min pressure should not be less than 4 + EPR = 4 +3 =7 since your EPR = 3.
It can be higher.  And I feel that without a specific reason, min pressure for adults should never be less than 6.

Oh no, looks like I  have been under-oxygenated for  some time.  I have turned up the min to 7 ...   where does the "4" come from in the equation?
Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
"4" is the lowest the machine can go, so example...if you set your minimum pressure to 6 and EPR to 3, you will not get the full benefit of the EPR, because the machine can't go lower than 4.  You wouldn't realize the benefit of EPR 3 until the machine reached a pressure of 7cm. (7 minus 3 = 4)

Your median pressure is around 10cm, so a good minimum pressure of 7 makes sense.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose & Bonjour, I see the logic of moving to 7 although it is hard to understand how I made it 3 years
with minimum set at 4 and no benefit from EPR.

Last night I took your advice to increase MINIMUM pressure from 4 to  7.  A very common pattern
happened again  -- I was very sleepy at bedtime but woke up in about 2 hours. Machine was noisy and seemed fast.  
I couldn't go back to sleep for about 2 hours - and used earplugs to help with noise.  Total sleep about 5 hours I think, 
Still somewhat drowsy on awakening,   And in afternoon I catch myself falling out of my
chair because i have dozed off.
   Did I do something wrong>  Perhpas you meant to go gradually (titrate?) from 4 to 7.   I will attach 2 graphs of last night:
one for close up and the other for big pic if that is helpful,
I apologize  to all for the subject title  of mouth tape -- originally my concern was about mouth tape but it morphed into something else--
minimum pressure,  I have temporarily gone back to chin strap to minimize new variables as i struggle with correct pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
It will be good to see what happens when you start using Somnifix. I'm going to guess the leaks contribute to the unrefreshing character of your sleep.

I doubt whether your raising your minimum in one go had anything to do with your wake-up two hours in, and if the new setting was comfortable for you, then that's fine.

Your flow limitation chart was very active, and it may be the FLs that are keeping your pressure up against your max for so much of the night. Do you have a cold or sinus or allergy problem that has developed recently?

The noise -- your type of machine is generally very quiet. What kind of noise was it? Can you describe it for us?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an AHI of 2 with annoying constant small flow limitations also but I was still exhausted and couldn’t wake up the next day along with bad anxiety. If you still feel awful then a soft cervical collar may be able to help. It helped me greatly and now my AHI is below 1 and my flow limitations are nonexistent and I feel great in the morning, finally. If you’re still falling asleep early in the day your small flow limitations may be to blame. They were for me. 

As for the pressure, I have mine at 11 because any lower and my obstructives and hypopneas like to pop up again and I actually prefer the higher pressure. I feel like I’m getting plenty of air and it’s very relaxing. If I’m off base I’ll be corrected but I think you would benefit from an increase to 10-14 cm since your 95 percentile and median is 11. From my perspective it’s worth a shot at not falling asleep in the middle of the day.

For your noise issue my girlfriend bought a sound machine that has ocean waves, rain, thunderstorms, distant trains and the like. The exhale noise for me is very bothersome and that does a perfect job of concealing it.

The most important thing to remember is you won’t notice significant changes in how you feel immediately after making adjustments so I don’t think you did anything wrong.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 11 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 400 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 311 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.