Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moving from BiPAP to CPAP during Travel
Moving from BiPAP to CPAP during Travel
I've got some extensive travel coming up and would prefer to avoid taking my BiPap with me as it's large. A smaller device like the AirCurve Mini would be perfect.

My BiPap data via OSCAR tells me:
  • I had an AHI over the last week of 1.27, an AHI over the last 30 days of 1.00, and over the last 6 months of 0.73.
  • My MinEPAP is set to 9
  • My MaxIPAP is set to 25.
  • Pressure Support (PS) is set to 4. 

However, the operating range the AirMini says:
  • Operating pressure range: 4 to 20 cm H2O (0.2 cm increments)

In trying to figure out if this is enough, I'm looking at the pressure data in the OSCAR Stats for my BiPap. Those stats tell me:

1. Average Pressure : ~13.7
  2. Min Pressure: ~13
  3. Max Pressure: from 17 to 22, depending on the date range.
  4. P95 Pressure: ~15.01
  5. Average EPAP: ~9.5 to 10.1
  6. Max EPAP: ~13

The Mini isn't a BiPap, so I'm not sure if the data is applicable from the BiPap to a (potential) CPAP. Are the more applicable numbers in OSCAR I should be looking at?

How best should interpret these numbers? My other alternative is to try to Rent an AirCurve Mini for a few nights and see how it goes...

(As a side note, if I sleep w/o the BiPap, things are ugly. I recently forgot it on a short trip, and it was so bad after 2 nights that I came home early.)

Thanks,
Me in Seattle
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moving from BiPAP to CPAP during Travel
First, there is no such thing as an Air curve Mini. I believe you are referring to the ResMed Air Mini AutoSet
I'd suggest the following as close to your BiLevel

Range 12-20
EPR=3, Fulltime.

This will give you a PS of 3 and the same starting pressure.

Do note that the AirMini produces no detailed data and does not have an SD card.

IMHO take your Aircurve
Post Reply Post Reply
I would take the AirCurve. If you can tolerate doing without humidity, purchase a side cover for the AirCurve. This will eliminate the humidifier and cut down on size a little.

Check the supplier list above. The part number is 37335.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely take the AirCurve. I am not a fan of the travel machines, but then I don't travel much any more. The only time since I have been on CPAP that I didn't take the machine was when I went back east for my mother's funeral almost 6 years ago. Going from AZ to MA and it was the day after a snow storm and I had too much winter stuff I needed to carry. While it was only 3 nights, it took me double that to get back on track.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,737 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 600 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,184 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.