Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Muscle Tone to Improve Apnea (OSA)
Question 
Muscle Tone to Improve Apnea (OSA)
Hi friends,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Q: Has anyone used muscle tone exercises to improve their apnea? Has it worked? What did you try/how long/ did it last?

Thanks!

C
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Muscle Tone to Improve Apnea (OSA)
I used duckduckgo.com to search using "muscle tone exercises to improve their apnea"

there are several hits that may answer your questions
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi catherinec,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2016, 05:21 PM)catherinec Wrote: Hi friends,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Q: Has anyone used muscle tone exercises to improve their apnea? Has it worked? What did you try/how long/ did it last?

There is no harm in trying such exercises but anyone with serious apnea needs to treat it with a cpap machine and not even consider going off it unless a sleep test proves it's no longer present.

There are a number of sites that are run by nothing more than charlatans claiming all types of research exists on these - so please be careful. I hate even linking to them, but here is [commercial website link removed] that tries to look like it's a medical site, but it's actually a snake oil salesman trying to sell bogus cures.

So by all means try them, but I think the only treatment likely to help is losing weight. And even that is by no means a guarantee, many thing people have apnea. But it may very well help.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi catherine...

I have moderate OSA, thought I would try alternative methods to ease the Apnea symptoms.
I tried and still use throat and singing exercises, they have helped reduce the snoring, and I no longer gag while asleep, I do still snore however and still have symptoms of OSA after two years of these exercises., so I still use CPAP.

Recently I have been trying the breathing exercises commonly called Buteyko breathing. They are based on the theory of over breathing, that is we only need a certain amount of air, and most of us are taking in too much. (My translation of the theory..:-)
Too early to say if I am any different, just a month into using them.

What I will say is that any of these methods is worth a shot, but the main thing to bear in mind is that OSA is a nasty disease. I made the mistake of thinking I could quickly change many years of symptoms...nearly had a heart attack...that woke me up.

What ever you try please don't ignore CPAP as the base treatment, you may get lucky and find something works, but don't hurt your body anymore than it is already...

Take care,
Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
My GP advised me to try ASATE for AHI improvements. Did any one try this or something alike before? Did it help?
What is your experience on use of resonance vibrations on your throat muscles?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bspengler,
Looks like the ASATE is kind of like a high-tech didgeridoo. I haven't seen anybody that has tried it.
There are a couple of us that are experimenting with the Didgeridoo and hoping/expecting some positive outcome.
The study they conducted with the didgeridoo was to practice for 4 months, then retest. I am only at 6 weeks, so I plan to take a retest Feb/Mar.
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a group of people tried a lot of things here from singing (has to be a certain way) exercises to the body and exercises to the neck and throat area even playing the didgeridoo, the only thing that helped was the singing (so I heard) but no one could master the didgeridoo so I have no idea if it might work or not, but it is based on breathing techniques.
I didn't join the group as it was when I couldn't go.
I think a lot of them dropped out in no time as they were having to travel quite a bit to get there.
How much it helped I have no idea.
I have not heard anything about this group for a few years now, so I think they might have folded.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
yes. Asate will probably create a resonance that will vibrate the throat tissue. This is meant to strengthen the muscle. This means any pipe with the good length that creates a resonance in the throat should do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,282 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 343 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 260 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 500 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Help interpreting OSCAR results to improve my sleep Provolone 5 538 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Provolone

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.