Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My DME company has vanished(?) without billing me
My DME company has vanished(?) without billing me
[First off, I'm not entirely clear whether the board rules permit naming the DME company one is talking about. So I haven't, but if that's okay I can identify them in a followup comment. I'm calling the company "BigCompany" below, and the local DME they purchased "LocalCompany".]

I'm wondering what, if anything, to do about an odd situation where the DME company that provided my CPAP machine has gone silent without attempting to bill or invoice me for the last (final?) three payments on the machine.
  • I contracted with them for a CPAP machine in April 2018, private insurer, rent-to-own provisions with I thought a total of 13 payments, but it may be that my insurance company capped that at 10.
  • The first 8 payments through last November were billed to my insurance and processed as expected, with a 20% coinsurance for which I was billed by BigCompany. The billing company was listed as LocalCompany, accepted as In-Network by my insurance company.
  • Payment #8 in November was billed to my insurance, but BigCompany hasn't invoiced me for it yet.
  • For payments #9 and 10 (December/January), the billing company was listed as BigCompany, but my insurer listed them as Out of Network on both claims, meaning that in theory I owed a much higher Out of Network deductible.
  • But BigCompany has never billed me for anything since October. Nada. My credit card is even on file with them for autopay but they haven't touched it. I haven't heard a peep out of them in five months.
I have just contacted my insurer to ask why I would be assessed Out of Network charges for a company that was In Network when I contracted with them (doesn't seem a bit fair, especially since I was never notified). I'm wondering what to do about BigCompany, however. I strongly suspect they're having major problems, which I suppose could mean I slip through the cracks and have a CPAP machine to use for another few years while buying supplies elsewhere. But is there an argument to make for calling their billing number (if it's still in service) and asking what the heck is going on, instead of just waiting?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My DME company has vanished(?) without billing me
You can name any company, and even list their phone number but you can't post a URL link to their business. So you can name big companies like Lincare, Apria, or Home Medical Equipment in xx town and it's no problem without the link.

More to the point, I think that when a large company that is out of your network, buys out a smaller supplier that is in-network, and most of the contract has been satisfied, they simply will forgive the remaining rental period. It's just too difficult to adjust a contract retroactively, and your insurance protects you against such practices. On the other hand, you may have no service or warranty coverage. The best approach would be to call your insurer and ask these questions. That way you are covered for doing your part, and the insurance company can probably help hook you up with a new in-network provider.

This is all to do with contract law, and the fact your remaining 2-months will cost more to transfer than it is worth, or cannot be transferred to an out-of-network provider. I suspect you are a free agent, but still need to find an in-network provider for your supplies and continuing support if that is what you want.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider. The big company is Aerocare. My experience with them hasn't been great--they made billing errors the first time I ordered replacement supplies from them. The odd thing about the situation, though, is that they had already acquired the local DME provider when I first bought my CPAP machine--my agreement was with Aerocare, and that was also the branding on the local office I dealt with. Only the name for billing purposes was still the old local company's.

I'll wait to see what I hear from the insurance company, but am less worried than I was about getting hit with the full cost of two month's rental (at inflated prices).
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be sure your on-file credit card is setup with a notification to you for any new transactions that may occur unexpectedly. At least you would know if a charge is made and can decide what to do about it. Having your card on file should make it hard for them to make the case you are late with payments or a non-payer. Maybe just let that sleeping dog lie since by now your contract period is over.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unexpected billing items from DME Sleeprider 3 642 08-04-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed BiPAP repair company in U.S? 17WRX 3 710 05-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Information [News] Apria admits fraudulent billing practices [in $40 million NY settlement] ApneaNews 3 1,365 01-31-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: JohnReam
  DME billing, is this Fraud? IBFeral 7 1,074 04-26-2021, 07:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Compliance too good? Insurance Company denial letter Gideon 12 2,001 04-02-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Australian CPAP Company is asking for Prescriptions holden4th 4 1,423 06-19-2019, 03:21 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Fighting with Insurance Company theMezz 5 1,558 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.