Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
RE: My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
(08-02-2017, 08:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I wonder it the DMEs can claim some kind of loss on taxes for the difference between wht they bill and what they are paid?

Losses are based on actual costs vs income.  No credit for what you "hoped" for.  It's not even a legal unpaid debt.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
No. The IRS would be all over that. It's not a loss, they paid less than the $80 allowed by Medicare to get the product.
Using an inflated basis to claim a loss is tax fraud.

The gotcha is: If insurance or Medicare doesn't pay for some reason; like perhaps it was too early to send new supplies, then you are on the hook for the $333 not what Medicare would have paid.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2017, 03:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guid...y23_r2.pdf

Thanks Sleeprider.  I removed the dash in the URL so it should work now.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Of course the difference between what they bill the insurance company and what the insurance company actually pays is typically passed on to the patient.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2017, 01:19 PM)AlanE Wrote: Of course the difference between what they bill the insurance company and what the insurance company actually pays is typically passed on to the patient.

That is called "double billing" and is illegal under Medicare and all insurance policies I am aware of.  If you are billed the difference between the DME invoice and the approved reimbursement amount, lawyer up.  You will be making some money.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Not on Medicare - but I had a decent DME here for several years and then they started to charge me for delivery of supplies. So what did I do? I quit ordering supplies.... So the nice little monthly billing they were getting paid dried up to nothing... Since I was having to pay down deductible anyway, I just went to online suppliers. Well, I will. I don't really use supplie and that DME had me pretty well stocked up. See, I don't change my hose hardly ever, and the mask seals last me 6-12 months, and headgear I just keep using, and the actual mask frame last lasted me like 2 years. Filters, I won't accept the ones that the DMEs supply in any case. I insist on factory original OEM and none of them seem to carry those. They don't really cost more, but when I used the S-9 I always found dust trails around the non-OEM filters and into the machine intake. So I switched to OEM.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2017, 01:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 01:19 PM)AlanE Wrote: Of course the difference between what they bill the insurance company and what the insurance company actually pays is typically passed on to the patient.

That is called "double billing" and is illegal under Medicare and all insurance policies I am aware of.  If you are billed the difference between the DME invoice and the approved reimbursement amount, lawyer up.  You will be making some money.

Quest Diagnostics have been doing this for at least 10 years. They bill insurance $100, insurance pays $60, quest nails you for $40. They have you sign this agreement when you get blood work so you are on the hook for it.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Quest, and have seen insurance invoice for several hundred dollars that are literally paid pennies on the dollar by insurance. No balance billing to me.

Don't pay the balance billing, it is illegal. Contact your insurance and inform them of the practice. https://www.complaintsboard.com/complain...61469.html

Know your rights!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Easy for you to say. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer and no lawyer is going to take the case for a few hundred bucks of over charge.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did some closer inspection. I was charges these amounts because I didn't meet my deductible:

Provider Name: QUEST DIAGNOSTICS CLINICAL LABORATORIES
Total Billed: $1,891.22
Member Discount: -$1,723.20
Florida Blue Paid: $0.00
Member Responsibility $156.55

So no balance billing it seems. My bad...

Edit: The explanation which didn't get c&p'd was "Deductible: $156.55"
I'm at 100% met on my individual deductible for the year but still $25.35 out on my family deductible so my blood test coming up will be at least that. They'll find a way to screw you no matter what.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 25 1,081 3 hours ago
Last Post: apneavolt
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 228 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 164 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 120 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 203 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 173 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 869 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.