Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
RE: My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
Greenwings, you may just have to decide, if you have regular insurance and not Medicare, whether the $10 is worth it to you. Check with your insurance company. Maybe you have an option of getting all the supplies you need for 6 months. I live quite close to my current DME, so it wouldn't be hard for me to get those supplies, but my previous DRM was a 56 mile RT. When gas was $4/gallon, that $10 would have been nuthin'.

It may behoove you to get all your supplies every 6 months. That month, order new mask, humidifier bin, hose, filters, just stuff. Then just buy things you use every month, like filters, from either one of the online suppliers or Ebay or Amazon. Many online suppliers have free shipping several times a year. Now, I say that not knowing whether you use cushions or pillows or how much they are every month. There is zero reason why 2 pillows and a package of filters would cost $10 to ship.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My DME says they're starting to charge a $10 (US) fee per package for shipping
Green Wings - Medicare will not permit more than 3 months of supplies at a time to the best of my knowledge (nor will most insurance companies), nor will they permit the DME to charge delivery charges.

For those on Medicare in a competitive bid area, another company that you might try is Verus Healthcare. They are based in Franklin, TN with a couple of regional offices in a few states. I just got a new ASV with heated everything and modems in a week, and that included having to chase down some paperwork for compliance purposes on my side. They drop shipped to me directly (no offices anywhere near me), which was fine as I was comfortable with no RT holding my hand. They did set-up per the scrip prior to shipping. Easiest transaction ever.

Never give a CC to Apria. I never had a problem, until recently, and they mistakenly charged something to me instead of the supplemental insurance and then told me they couldn't refund, just carry a credit forward. WELL, MasterCard just back charged them and then slapped them around a bit after I complained - but who needs the hassle.

As far as what is "billed" versus what is approved and paid - the biggest spread I have seen was recently for a test from a hospital. Bill = $7,500+; Approved = $384; Paid = 80% by Medicare, 20% by supplemental of the $384.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2017, 08:04 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: Never give a CC to Apria.  I never had a problem, until recently, and they mistakenly charged something to me instead of the supplemental insurance and then told me they couldn't refund, just carry a credit forward.  WELL, MasterCard just back charged them and then slapped them around a bit after I complained - but who needs the hassle.

"MasterCard just back charged them and then slapped them around a bit"

Ooooooh!  It might be worth it just to watch that!

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2017, 08:57 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 08:04 PM)robertbuckley Wrote: Never give a CC to Apria.  I never had a problem, until recently, and they mistakenly charged something to me instead of the supplemental insurance and then told me they couldn't refund, just carry a credit forward.  WELL, MasterCard just back charged them and then slapped them around a bit after I complained - but who needs the hassle.

"MasterCard just back charged them and then slapped them around a bit"

Ooooooh!  It might be worth it just to watch that!

OMMOHY

Can someone create a sign-up sheet? Good excuse for popcorn and coffee. Personally, I like mallets instead of slapping, but to each their own preference.

Hammer
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to pay my company for a heated hose every three months and also for the safety valve that sits on the hose. Is this standard with everyone? I am on Medicaid. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2017, 11:19 AM)Kathy123 Wrote: I have to pay my company for a heated hose every three months and also for the safety valve that sits on the hose. Is this standard with everyone? I am on Medicaid. Thanks.

I have United Healthcare Community supplemented by Medicaid and with my last device I had to pay $1 co-pay per item. So I would say no, but I'm not sure if our situations are similar enough to do a direct comparison.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2017, 11:19 AM)Kathy123 Wrote: I have to pay my company for a heated hose every three months and also for the safety valve that sits on the hose. Is this standard with everyone? I am on Medicaid. Thanks.

Kathy, those hoses will last for years.  I get a replacement under insurance every 6 months, but after getting a second hose, I accepted no more.  You do not have to purchase a replacement on the schedule your DME recommends, in fact if there is nothing wrong with the hose you have, you don't have to replace it at all.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kathy,

What "safety valve" are you talking about that sits on the hose?

Best Regards, PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a non-vented mask that is attached to a dead space hose and the safety valve to let the air out is there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this the valve? (elbow with built-in vent; bottom left, darker in color) I'd say unless it is broke, you do not have to follow a DME replacement suggestion, much like Sleeprider said above for the hose.
[Image: CHdLBibl.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 25 1,079 1 hour ago
Last Post: apneavolt
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 225 4 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 164 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 120 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 203 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 173 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 14 869 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: redking2436

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.