Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Journey Begins
My Journey Begins
First of all, I just want to say that I am glad I found this community! I've been poking around the last couple of days just looking at general information and also looking at information people have shared about my current setup. So, thank you!

I had a sleep study conducted on April 11, with an AHI of 23.4, and was prescribed a CPAP on May 3, which I was issued on Friday, May 10. I used it Friday night, but I did not know about using the SD card slot to capture my data, as one was not provided. However, after looking through this site and tinkering around with OSCAR yesterday, I put an SD card in to capture last night's data. I would say it was quite interesting. Here is a 3-minute snapshot from early this morning:

[attachment=11916]

Interestingly enough, I was under the impression that my apnea was obstructive in nature based on the discussion with my provider, and it very well could have been, but this 3-minute peek into my night had me scratching my head. I had no obstructive apneas last night (don't know about Friday night). I have read that obstructive and central apnea can occur together and, through some of the discussion posts, I realize that the central apnea could/should subside as I adjust to sleeping with a CPAP.

Does anyone on here have a similar graph to this? It is concerning because it appears to me as Cheyne-Stokes, which could mean other medical issues going on...even though I feel generally great! Just curious if anyone else has seen similar data in their results and if there were any major concerns. 

Obviously, I know they will share this data with my doctor, so I will find something out at some point. Just wanted to reach out and start a conversation with others who may have similar scenarios. Needless to say, I have had a couple of great nights of sleep, relatively speaking, and am already feeling more energetic than I have in a few weeks!

Thanks again for this community. I'm glad I found it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Journey Begins
Welcome to Apnea Board. Your chart shows that you are using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset in fixed CPAP mode with EPR at 2. Your AHI was mostly CA events and some hypopnea. This is not uncommon when adapting to CPAP and is nothing to worry about. CA event often occur when you change position in bed or arouse or transition to a lighter stage of sleep. Unlike central apnea, these are mostly just short breath holds or pauses. Your first CA event in the series you posted appears to be a movement or sigh followed by a short breath hold of about 15 seconds. All three apnea are followed by some flow-limited larger breaths. Your respiratory statistics show you have a good tidal volume, normal respiration rate and these results all point to good successful therapy. You used the machine for 6-hours so you had a total of about 12 CA events and only one or two hypopnea.

It appears your provider set you up at fixed pressure, and if you're comfortable,, that is fine. If you want to try automatic pressure, you will probably require a lower pressure than you currently have as fixed pressure. In autoset mode, you could set a minimum of 9 or 10 cm pressure and a maximum of 14, and the CPAP will only increase pressure when it detects obstruction, but will keep pressures lower other times.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply! Good information to know. This is all pretty new to me, so I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of it all.

Yes, they set my pressure at a fixed 14 based on the results of my sleep study. I have a follow-up call with them next week, so we'll see if they make any changes. That 3 o'clock hour this morning was interesting. From sound asleep to wide awake and back to sleep in a short amount of time.

Honestly, just happy that I am getting the help I need! It's been a constant struggle for a few years now. Just had no idea what was going on until we started down this sleep path...
Post Reply Post Reply
The good news is the pressure is working to eliminate all obstructive apnea. The centrals usually disappear without any intervention as you become more comfortable with the therapy. These results are actually an excellent start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome! That's just what I want to hear! After only two days, I can certainly tell the difference; not huge, but a difference. I wish I had pushed the issue more sooner. Just had no idea what was going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I reached out to my doctor to obtain a copy of my sleep study and it shocked me.

Prior to putting the mask on me, I had 3 central apneas and 42 hypopneas. After they started titration, I had 40 central apneas. I had absolutely no obstructive apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting information, and you are over-achieving based on those results. When CPAP contributes to central apnea, we normally reduce EPR and pressure. On the other hand, fixed pressure sometimes helps minimize central events. If at some point you want to try alternative settings, we need to keep your test results in mind. I'm actually surprised you tolerate the pressure of 14 with EPR 2 given that sleep study result.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to post my stuff later tonight. We have a choir concert to go to and I need to redact all of my info. I've been below 3 for the last three nights with my AHI. I can already tell I feel more energetic. It's not a huge increase, but much better than I had been doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my study. Reading it sounds like I had a rough night. The only part I remember is waking up from a dead sleep and the technician coming in a few times to make adjustments to the mask after he put it on me. Again, I am certainly glad I made it to this point. My fatigue had just been getting worse and worse until I finally had enough. Glad I wasn't going crazy and the doctor actually listened to me.

.pdf   sleep_study_redacted.pdf (Size: 231.72 KB / Downloads: 48)
Post Reply Post Reply
Your diagnostic AHI showed OSA and hypopnea with a 23.3 AHI and RDI of 32.1. This shows a high degree of disrupted sleep, so therapy is appropriate. The titration did not find any pressure that was therapeutically recommended, and you had all central apnea. From a pressure of 6 to 11, your central apnea AHI went from 31 to nearly 80 events per hour, and at 14 AHI your had an AHI of 21. The study then recommends fixed pressure at 14 and not using auto mode.

Based on your current results with pressure at 14 and EPR 2, your AHI is really beating the odds. This is one for the books. I expect your results will be inconsistent and that central events will eventually return. Based on your sleep study, you should be failing at your use of CPAP, and yet, you're doing great so far. If CA events return, you will ultimately need a more sophisticated machine called an adaptive servo ventilator (ASV). On the other hand, you may be one of the rare cases that resolves sleep disordered breathing using CPAP. These are remarkable and unusual results. For the time being, there is nothing I would change about your therapy, but I will be surprised if it actually works in the long run in its current form.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 928 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,274 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,202 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,392 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 803 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.