Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it:
My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it:
Wondering what your suggestions would be, thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it:
The problem your mother is having has nothing to do with pressure. She is having positional apnea. 

Positional apnea is when you are sleeping in a position that cuts off their airway.  No pressure changes can help - you have to find out why she is getting into that position. 

Many times sleeping on your back can cause it or maybe it is too high of a pillow. What ever it is - her chin is dropping down to her sternum and blocking her airway. 

Think of it as a kink in a garden hose, nothing goes through until you get rid of the kink. 

If simple things like changing pillows or side sleeping does not help she may need a collar.  I have a link to collars on my signature. The link shows people with and without a collar - huge difference. 

You can see positional apnea when O or/and H events are clustered which in your mothers case is raising her pressure.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it:
Thank you stacey, I noticed the clustered events but didn't know that they are attributed to positional apnea. I have told her to try to side sleep and not sleep on her back in the past. I'll pass on the suggestions and that we need to get this figured out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked her to please sleep on her side and possibly try a cervical collar but she said she won't entertain the idea of a cervical collar.  Here is one of her bad nights, the others are averaging around 4-5AHI, date is wrong on the machine data.  She changed the cushion size of her N30 up a size, and she has more leaks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Stacy nailed the characteristic clusters of apnea. I'll link our wiki articles related to this:
positional apnea https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
soft cervical collars https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Backing up the others,

Positional Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you GD.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually like my soft cervical collar. There are usually measurements on these so you know how to get the correct size. Mine is quite soft--I can push my shin down on it, but give me enough support to help with the make leaks. I sleep only on my right side. Sometimes attitudes have to change--I know I had to change my thinking early in the game. I'm 82--have worn a CPAP since 2015 after falling asleep and getting in an accident while driving. I also have heart failure. To me that CPAP--and collar--are life savers! I did a lot better when I changed my attitude and did everything I could to successfully wear that foreign object wrapped around my head.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll pass this along to her SS, thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 236 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 199 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Raise max pressure or leave it alone? big_dave 4 337 02-20-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  New User Please Help with my chart apapnoob 11 505 02-04-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: apapnoob
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Japanese sleep test vs. Lofta/WatchPAT discrepancy + flow chart morphology analysis? woodenwaterbottle 3 4,418 01-24-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.