Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Theories on UARS (Updated)
My Theories on UARS (Updated)
This is an update to a prior thread post regarding UARS treatment with low pressure

The original post can be found here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...y-syndrome

What prompted my original thread was when I noticed that I lowered my CPAP pressure from upwards of 15 down to just 5 and did not see any difference in my AHI.  The result of lower pressure provided my with better sleep as the high pressure just woke me up, hurt my ears, and bloated my stomach.  However, I was not satisfied with my AHI which stayed around 5-6 and still caused me waking multiple times during the night.

So, how do we address that.

As many have mentioned on this board, I gave a go at wearing a cervical collar when sleeping.  The purpose is to keep you chin in an upward position thus opening up the back of your throat.  Anyone who has ever practiced CPR will understand this theory.  I found the soft collar to be comfortable and in no way made sleeping any more difficult.  The result was a 50% decrease in my apnea.  I did not just measure one night, but alternated every night for a week and the result was always the same.  Now my AHI is around 3.

This success of the C-collar explains why people with UARS often get as good a result from low pressure as from high.  My UARS (like most others)  is caused not by fatty tissue or a weak tongue muscle, but by a narrowed throat.  So when your chin drops at night or you lean you head forward, your throat (which was already narrower than normal) closes up and chokes your breathing.  An APAP will sense this obstruction and begin upping the pressure to open the airway.  However, since the obstruction is not caused so much by relaxed muscles, but a structural decrease in the throat opening, the added pressure cannot open the airway.  Thus you don't see any improvement from high pressure.

Now the fun part.  Since I have found a way to keep my throat open, it is time to find the best possible pressure.  So I began my own home titration study.  Simple started with a max pressure of 5.0 and every night I would increase the pressure by 0.2.  I would record the data each morning.  This went on for about a month.  The AHI dropped dramatically at around 8.4.  I now have my machine set at max pressure of 8.6 where my AHI is continually around 0.5-0.9.  I am sleeping now for the first time in a long time.

I have written this post and my prior post to not only provide some of my insights to the mysterious UARS condition, but to also encourage everyone to take matters in their own hands when dealing with this problem so that you can successfully treat it.

Best wishes and may God Bless you all.

--Fit
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Theories on UARS (Updated)
That is great news! Thank you for the detailed explanation and results.

What is your sleep position? I am a side sleeper and have found that the cervical collar presses against my throat, causing its own obstruction. I guess my jaw may not be wide enough to keep this from happening. It doesn't matter if only the tip of my head is on the pillow (so that CC is above empty air), as the CC against my collarbone/shoulder also presses into my throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
fitmart,

Congrats
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am a back sleeper.  I actually curl the bottom of the pillow under my neck.  This pushes on the bottom back of the C Collar and further forces my jaw up.  Ironically, I found this more comfortable.

When I do sleep on my side, I tend to double the pillow up which accomplishes the same thing you do my keeping the collar over empty air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very, very interesting. I am so excited for you, finding this solution!! Thank you again for sharing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fitmart, your experience parallels the suggestion I give many with UARS to limit maximum pressure, and in some cases use the C-collar. One other thing that is often worth while is EPR. You might find a pressure of 7 with EPR at 3 does pretty good comfort-wise and helps with the flow limits. Increase pressure if OA events increase.

Your observations and approach to therapy show a lot of thought and the ability to listen to what your body is telling you. Well done, and very helpful post for those in a similar situation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Posted by fitmart

"I found the soft collar to be comfortable and in no way made sleeping any more difficult.  The result was a 50% decrease in my apnea.  I did not just measure one night, but alternated every night for a week and the result was always the same."

"Now the fun part.  Since I have found a way to keep my throat open, it is time to find the best possible pressure.  So I began my own home titration study.  Simple started with a max pressure of 5.0 and every night I would increase the pressure by 0.2.  I would record the data each morning.  This went on for about a month.  The AHI dropped dramatically at around 8.4.  I now have my machine set at max pressure of 8.6 where my AHI is continually around 0.5-0.9.  I am sleeping now for the first time in a long time."

I'm glad your treatment improved with a C-Collar and the above quoted steps. I also commend your treatment plan to make changes slowly, record data and note what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great work Fitmart! I'll have to give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fitmart,
Thank you for sharing your results, great job, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 15 456 7 hours ago
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,136 Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,356 Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,162 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 111 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Not Helping... Possible UARS?? TiredTim 0 165 04-02-2024, 05:24 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 25 2,293 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: subconscious

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.