Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My first day with my new best friend
My first day with my new best friend
My machine came a day early so it’s time to play!

First day with my Resmed auto for her-

It was really exciting to get my machine. It arrived by Fedex yesterday. I unpacked it and the first thing I did was make sure that it was brand new. I started it up and went into clinical mode (thank you so much for the clinical manual) to confirm and it said 0 run time. Next I put together the mask and added distilled water to the humidifier. I wanted to see how it felt to have the forced air so I put the mask on and turned the machine on. I didn’t make any adjustments at all to the machine other than setting the time, turning on the autostart feature,  and putting in the sd card so I could import my data to Oscar.

1) I was pleasantly surprised how nice it felt to have help in breathing. The starting pressure is 4 so it wasn’t overwhelming. 
2) This thing is very quiet. My wife said she could hardly hear it so I might be permitted back into the bedroom Smile She also said how sexy I look with the mask on lol

Impressions from the first night- Overall a very good experience having read a lot about the difficulties other folks have experienced.

Some observations-

1) It was weird having this thing fixed to my face all night. 
2) I was probably overly concerned about the mask seal so I probably fidgeted too much with it.
3) I woke up once because of hissing noise coming out of my mouth. My mouth felt dry so I assume that the pressure opened it. I pressed my tongue to the top of my swallowed and that seemed to do the trick for the rest of the night. I probably will pick up some mouth tape in case this becomes an issue.
4) I felt myself getting tangled in the hose. Sometimes the angle of the hose when I shifted position caused the mask to leak a bit. To solve this, I ordered a something from amazon that fixes to the bed and holds the hose directly over your head as you sleep. This will hopefully solve that issue.

When I woke up in the morning I felt a calmness that I haven’t felt in the past. I also felt more rested. To early to tell if a placebo effect or not but I definitely felt different than I normally do when I wake up.

My myAir score for the first night was 89! I am very pleased with that for the first night. My events per hr. went from 14.2 from the sleep test to 2.8 which I think is a good start. My score would have been higher as I was penalized for taking my mask off as I was testing the autostart and stop feature before going to sleep. I’ll wait a week or so before I post my Oscar data to see if there are any underlying issues that need to be addressed.

Sorry for the long boring post but I am excited about the process. Have a good day everybody.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My first day with my new best friend
I'd post the OSCAR data anyway in standard screenshot format. If the device is set to 4 to 20 or something like that, it's probably set at default. A setting of 4 is as low as these get, and most adults will find 4 is air starvation low.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will find that a hose holder / hanger will be a big help and make your treatment all that much more pleasant. 

Not that it's pleasant to start with, but more tolerable I suppose.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
On the hose issue, I use a lanyard like the ones used for work ID or conferences and suspend that from the headboard. The 3M command hooks work great for hanging the hose. That keeps it out of your way and allows it to move with you. The MyAir scores are all about keeping a mask on and getting in hours of therapy. There is very little that is useful in the score or information. You will learn much more from your OSCAR scrores and charts. Congrats on the new machine and good start. Here's hoping you get a pass to the MBR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with oscar data for a friend airwaystent 0 184 02-20-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Asking for a friend...or a random person on FB David Clark 3 395 05-24-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Could someone please interpret this sleep study for a family friend JamesD0079 4 586 04-06-2023, 06:35 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Help for a friend Fliction 2 561 04-16-2022, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Fliction
  [Diagnosis] ask on behalf of my friend duckybsd 1 598 11-21-2021, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Please look at this chart from a friend on another site: Phaleronic 2 651 09-15-2021, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Help a friend understand her test results JenniferJuniper 27 2,328 09-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.