Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My life has become living hell [nose blockage]
RE: My life has become living hell... [nose blockage]
(07-26-2018, 03:11 PM)arc0509 Wrote: The nose block clears mostly while standing up and worsens immediately on lying down.

As a result, i have to sleep supine while having my dreamwear mask on. Any other position leads to problem of noseblock

I had a giant wedge pillow made at a local foam shop. I cannot sleep lying flat. My nose gets instantly congested. Inclined or no sleep. This also helps with acid reflux, which I was also getting. Fancy bed that could move would be nice, but the wedge works more or less.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi arc0509 !

I don't know if that make sense: You say " even your ds humidifier can't solve that ". Last night sleeping with the room window open it was very humid outside. My resmed humidifier was set at 3 with temp. at 27 c. At 4 am. the machine pressure went up ,waked me and since I tape (big mouth breather) difficult to breathe .I turned the setting up at 4, but after a while it was worse, so has mention on this forum , to much is like not enough, I reset the control at 2 and turned off the temp. . Within 30 minutes  my breathing  went back to normal.

Maybe rinse/pillows/setting can help you ! Just saying. I hope you find a solution .Good luck!

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2018, 03:06 AM)arc0509 Wrote:
  • Has anyone used neti pot on regular basis???
I like the Neil Med bottle better than the neti pot, a little easier.  I  mix my own saline solution: half a teaspoon salt to a cup of distilled water.  It is good to do this before bed and naps.  I think continued use will help on a more sustained basis.  If you don't have distilled water readily available, you might have to distill your own.  Creep rotten stuff can be in the water, go through the nose, into the brain and kill a person.

Couple of questions ...... do you have allergies or a lot of air polution in your area?  
Do you keep your tongue at the roof of your mouth all the time?  If not, you should.  XPAP therapy works better that way, plus some think it improves the sinus flow.

Did you say you don't have a doctor or you don't have medical insurance?

If you can, seeing an allergist and an ENT would probably be helpful in determining the cause and the most appropriate solution.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Most pharmacies will sell gallon plastic milk-type jugs of distilled water for a little more than a gallon a jug, maybe two bucks.  It might be cheaper in the long run, if you intend to live for about six more years, to have a good filtration or reverse-osmosis system put in line to one of the sink faucets in your house.  There are also in-line UV sterilization systems that are available for about $300+/-.

Municipal water is safe at the tap.  If the quality is good, with low dissolved minerals, then it's also safe to use in other systems, and also in misters and nasal injectors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I live in India. It has 15 of the top 20 most polluted cities of the world due to rapid urbanourbani. Unfortunately i live in one of them. But i did not have this problem b4 starting therapy.

I cannot tell how terrible it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can vouch for the Alkalol ... it gives a comforting, clean feeling to the nasal passages. I use it every time I shower, whether I am especially congested or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many find Flonase helps after being on it awhile. The smell of it gives me a headache so I use Sensimist by the same company. This helped me steer away from Afrin decongestant spray.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2018, 03:06 AM)arc0509 Wrote: Actually the issie is more compounded without the mask. With the mask pushing in air, i can atleast sleep peacefully. But, without the mask, the situation is terrible. Nasal sprays like otrivin which open up instantly are not healthy for continuous use of more than 3 days. So i use it in emergencies only. Normal saline nasal sprays dsnt work.

However, i am a bit relieved that the issue is not isolated.

But can anyone take a short nap wdout the machine??? I cannot susyain even for 10 mins wdout that except for when i use otrivin to fully open my passages. But nasal sprays like these are not recommended by docs here except in emergencies due to fear of rebound nasal congestion.

Same problem for me, I cant sleep more than a minute without the CPAP. What has worked for me with breathing is the P10 nasal pillows. With a full face mask my nostrils close, the pillows blow them open.

For nasal congestion which I also suffer from hugely I find turning the humidity down to 1 or off and tube temperature off helps a lot.

I dont recommend prolonged use of prescription nasal sprays, in my case I used them for about  6 or 7 years continuously 3 or 4 times a day, the result other than nice clear breathing seems to be a wrecked HPTA system.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont recommend prolonged use of prescription nasal sprays, in my case I used them for about  6 or 7 years continuously 3 or 4 times a day, the result other than nice clear breathing seems to be a wrecked HPTA system.
[/quote]
ghcz, Which class of nasal sprays were you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually doc told me to use avamys nasal spray(fluticasone) and normal saline nasal spray. However, i know fluticasone only works if you use it for long term. It can be safely used for upto 3 months.

I found an interesting study related to it online. See below:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11391326/

However, i have not used the sprays continuously.

Has anyone used fluticasone based spray for a long period and had benefits????

Also I have dreamwear nasal mask right now. Is nasal pillows gonna be better really??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 195 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,973 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,108 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.