Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only)
My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only)
I have an issue with small amounts of air leaking into my mouth while using my nasal mask. I keep my lips closed, so my cheeks will puff up a little. For some reason this small puff makes it incredibly hard for me to fall back asleep.

To stop this I take a 2 in elastic bandage and wrap it around my cheeks. The material is soft and comfortable.

I use "LotFancy Cotton Elastic Bandage (2 Inches Wide x 15 Feet)" on amazon. I cut them in half, so one package gives me 4 wraps. They do lose their strength after a while, so a wrap usually only last me 2 weeks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only)
Many thanks for sharing your solution! This kind of ingenuity and experimental spirit is such a plus for successful apnea treatment, and sharing the results with the community is great.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only)
You might try using tongue control to manage your chipmunk cheeks.

To find the correct tongue position,  test with your machine on.......
▪︎ position tongue on the roof of your mouth
▪︎ open mouth
▪︎ slide tongue further back and if necessary,  use a little suction ... until no air escapes

Now you can close your mouth and sleep with your tongue in that position and you won't get chipmunk cheeks

If you wake up and find your tongue has moved, just slide it back into place.  You will probably find the chipmunk cheeks disappear easily.

In the daytime practice this position so your body will remember it at night.

This is the best place for your tongue at all times.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,012 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 681 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 179 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 212 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,282 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,395 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 303 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.