Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My sleep apnea journey
My sleep apnea journey
Hello guys, first time posting here, although reading just through comments this forum was extremely helpful, thank you guys!

So couple years ago I noticed that I was sleeping so bad and waking up with dry mouth, long story short I broke nose when I was a child so I thought maybe the nose is the problem. i had septoplasty + rfitt of inferior turbinates in nose 1.5 year ago and later had also continuing problems with sinuses so 5 months ago I had FESS /sinus surgery and adenoidectomy. I thought that will fix my sleeping issues but it didn't Thinking-about .

3 months ago I did a sleep study, I was sure it will be positive, it was and I had ahi of 20. They advised to try oral appliance so I made silensor sl one, costed 360€ , but it didn't help.

1 month ago I decided to do a sleep study with cpap because nothing was helping. I did and it turned out that still with machine on polysomnography report I had ahi of 11 per hour with mostly central apneas, on cpap device ahi was 20.x with 99% of central. They said I have complex apnea and that cpap is not helpful.. I was like confused,  what should I do now? They advised I see pulmologist.. 

Nevermind, I bought myself a cpap and noticed that on sleep study they had apap pressure settings of 8 - 20 , I read here that too high pressure had impact on central anea, they also had Epr on setting 3. 

I bought lowenstein prisma smart and set mine apap settings to 4-11/12 and epr 1, forum was very helpful to see some settings and advices.

I am using it couple a days now, mostly I have ahi of 1 per hour which I consider great, they are mostly centrals.

But I see that mine machine is 90% of the time working on pressure of 4, maybe sometimes goes up to 5. I am feeling much better, but is it normal that lowest pressure can help so much with mine sleep apnea?  I am male with 173 cm and 65 Kg...

Thank you guys, sorry for the long post, but this forum is extremely helpful Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My sleep apnea journey
Awesome, and thanks for sharing your story!  I think something like 80% of us have one or two centrals each night, or maybe even one an hour, but if that's all there is, the treatment is working enviably. I applaud your responsibility for your own well-being, for learning, your willingness to adapt, and for offering your experience publicly to serve as a beacon of hope for others who are on their own journeys.  Well done!  Congrats
Post Reply Post Reply
So I am having some problems lately, I feel like CPAP did wonders for me in the begining, but now like 1 week later it has faded down, I feel tired. I have same settings and my ahi is around 1-2 mostly centrals. 
I feel like I went down from 20 ahi to 1 and still feel tired? any clues why?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are these flow limits or what? 
This blue is central apnea

from prisma software photo
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 105 Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 158 Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 235 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 127 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 295 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 208 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 386 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.