Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy?
I know this might be a question for another forum, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of narcolepsy? I have sleep apnea and use a BiPAP (I'll post more info on another thread) but am still pretty tired. Also one of the symptoms that stuck out at me about narcolepsy is cataplexy....which I think I sorta have. When something make me laugh really hard, I get all weak. But I thought all people did this for the longest time. You know "ROFL"? ..I have literally done that. No joke, I remember one time in 6th grade I was on the floor I guess in the fetal position and a few of my friends were standing around me...some girls stopped and told them to stop beating me up. They weren't beating me, what happened was one of them had made a joke and funny face and it just slayed. I was literally on the floor in the fetal position "dying" of laughter. I since learned to you know, try to control myself more, because you know, it looks weird, but if someone makes me laugh really hard I might sloop in my chair, arms fall to my side, or I might need to bend down, or I might need to "take a knee". On rare occasions, extreme anxiety or sadness can cause quasi-cataplexy. I don't fall down or anything, but I might need to lie down...THEN and THERE...like on the foor, or maybe, again "take a knee". Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Narcolepsy?
I do have narcolepsy, but mine is type 2, which means without cataplexy. That is only one symptom, but if you have others it COULD be. The only way to definitively know is to get an MSLT done. Its a 24 hour long test where you do a sleep study as normal, and they make sure you slept well (if you have OSA/CSA/etc, as long as it's controlled that counts as good). The next morning, they will start asking you to go to sleep every 2 hours and see if you make it to at least stage 2 sleep, if not REM sleep, before 20 minutes has passed. If you hit REM sleep within about 10 minutes twice (including the night before), it'/s very conclusive. Those are called SOREMs, or sleep-onset REM, because it happens so fast and shows you are switching between sleep/wake very quickly. I only had one when I did my MSLT, but I made it to stage 2 very very quickly every time they asked me to sleep, so that's how I got my diagnosis. I would say with the symptoms you describe its worth it to get the test.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Narcolepsy despite VPAP 10 years Geworthomd 4 860 03-05-2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Possible Narcolepsy? hallra 0 630 04-23-2020, 01:11 PM
Last Post: hallra
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Narcolepsy (TONES) study icyura10 6 1,869 08-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
Ohmy NARCOLEPSY ? Kate 19 6,704 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Last Post: JohnNJ
Question Can you have OSA and Narcolepsy at the same time? Tez62 3 4,354 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Tez62
  Struggling with Sleep Apnea/Narcolepsy/Dysautonomia elegant_exotics 11 6,106 03-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Shastzi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.