Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Congestion
Nasal Congestion
What are other options for management of the nasal congestion that I experience overnight?
I am a daytime mouth breather and use a Mirage FX nasal mask with mouth tape overnight. My CPAP includes a humidifier and heated tubing.  Previous trials using full face masks including most recently the Dreamwear and Vitera masks were unsuccessful due to leakage. I wake up usually twice overnight with a desire to urinate and one nostril will be congested. The nostril will open up after spraying with nasal saline.
Thanks for any suggestions.

.docx   Oscar.docx (Size: 471.09 KB / Downloads: 8)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Congestion
Rgn3, Fluticasone Propionate is what helped me tremendously. It’s basically Flonase and is a nasal spray. It takes a little while to get full benefits so be patient. Get it on Amazon . Follow instructions. It’s safe for long time use. I’m on yr 2 and no problems. After my evening shower, 1 shot in each nostril and I’m good to go. Good luck and keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nightynite thanks for your input.
Thinking back, I remember using nasal irrigation (similar to the neti pot) for a sinus issue and during that week my nose did not become congested overnight. So I wonder if doing multiple nasal saline sprays  before bedtime  would keep my nasal passages open thorough the night. The spaying could be done with head tilted for drainage similar to the way nasal irrigations are done. Has anyone tried that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Rgn3, there is an inexpensive 2 pack of saline nasal spray called SinuCleanse Breathe. You can get it cheap on that big retail site that starts with the letter "A", or anywhere else. It seems to help but makes things worse briefly before they get better. Can take 5-15 minutes to kick-in. Fluticasone Propionate helps as well but causes burning, at least for me. Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit, available at any drug store or on Amazon. It's like a neti pot, but much better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rgn3, I agree with the above, NeilMed with the saline packets. They work great , better that than the Neti pot.  I warm it up in the microwave for :30 seconds and flush away. Very effective for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
hopforusall the nasal spray that I have been using with similar price range is Simply Saline. Both have only water/sodium chloride/ sodium bicarbonate combination and do not cause the burning that I experience with some of the other nasal spray preparations
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster and Nightynight: What has your experience or the experience of others been like when using preparations like the NeilMed Sinums Rinse kit for CPAP related nasal congestion?  Any issues with chronic usage as long as distilled, boiled or filtered water is used?
Post Reply Post Reply
Rgn3, if Simply Saline is cost effective and works for you, then you are good on that. I will check that brand myself. The Fluticasone Propionate is what can have a burning/irritation effect for some. You may also want to try a full face mask like the F20 if you have not already. That would offer you a backup if all else fails.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way Rgn3, I see you have a Mirage FX. I got one myself but no matter what I tried there is air leaking from around the mask, rendering it useless. Tried adjusting the straps every which way as well as just holding it on firmly with my hand to see what happens. Nothing stops the leaking. This does not happen at all with my F20. Do you have any suggestions for using the Mirage FX? Seems like it would be a good mask. Maybe it is damaged. Very frustrating. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 3 218 04-16-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 433 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 951 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 405 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 606 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,215 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,489 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.