Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Congestion
RE: Nasal Congestion
(05-06-2023, 05:09 PM)Rgn3 Wrote: Sleepster and Nightynight: What has your experience or the experience of others been like when using preparations like the NeilMed Sinums Rinse kit for CPAP related nasal congestion?  Any issues with chronic usage as long as distilled, boiled or filtered water is used?

I don't understand what you're asking. The water just needs to be safe to drink and used right away (not stored for later use).

It will flush your sinuses out a lot better than a saline spray because you are flushing with a lot more water.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hopeforusall: For nasal FX mask I keep the top straps quite a bit more loose and the bottom straps somewhat more loose than my initial attempts. It did take me several months to get the FX leaking reduced. I found some YouTube videos helpful to assess how loose to keep the straps. On the other hand, I have not had success with full face masks. One reason might be that my wife is less tolerant of my trials of full face masks since I have the FX to go back to. 
I have not yet tried the F20 full face mask. A face mask that works well would be better than using a nasal mask with mouth tape and some form or nasal spray/nasal irrigation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2023, 12:06 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't understand what you're asking. It will flush your sinuses out a lot better than a saline spray because you are flushing with a lot more water.

My understanding is that NeilMed and similar irrigations were set up as you indicate  for sinusitis . I think that CPAP induced nasal congestion involves the nasal passages rather than the sinuses. If that is correct, I was trying to determine if individuals found that the long term use of the irrigation systems worked for CPAP nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2023, 10:12 AM)Rgn3 Wrote: My understanding is that NeilMed and similar irrigations were set up as you indicate for sinusitis. I think that CPAP induced nasal congestion involves the nasal passages rather than the sinuses.

I use it when I have trouble breathing through my nose. I don't know if that's sinusitis or congestion. It doesn't really matter what you call it. It flushes the mucous out of my sinus passages so I can breathe easier and don't have to keep blowing my nose to clear it.

Quote:If that is correct, I was trying to determine if individuals found that the long term use of the irrigation systems worked for CPAP nasal congestion.

Just try it and see if it works.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster. Got it, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
ditto from Sleepster- just get a cheap bulb syringe from Walg and some saline packets and get to squirtin. I use plain ole shower water in the am before I'm done.

Hint: if you do this before bed, then you'll get a big slosh of salty snot down the back of your throat when you lie down... so am is preferred.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rgn3, thank you for the advice about the FX. Looks like I will be trying it again with your suggestions.
I would suggest you try a full mask if you can. I like the F20, but then again have not tried much else that worked.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 388 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 583 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.