Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows - Does anyone get a really good seal
RE: Nasal Pillows - Does anyone get a really good seal
If you are leaking from your mouth, you would definitely know it if your pressure is more than about 5 cm H2O.  You may not hear it, although I can, even with ear plugs.  You'll feel it and you'll develop a very dry mouth inside of about two minutes.  VERY unpleasant if you awaken to that.  I have a modest high pressure point of only 8 cm, and when my mouth opens during sleep the result is what I describe as a 'gale'.

On the other hand, when my mask is the culprit, mine usually leaks up at the bridge of my nose, and the resultant air torments my eyelashes.  Again, while I won't often be awakened if it happens (because I always have some indicated leakage each night and often don't awaken at all), if I am about to fall asleep and this happens I will definitely notice the effect.

I wonder if you are side-sleeping and dislodging the mask or deforming it enough with contact with the pillow or an elbow that you get some leaks.  I side sleep all the time, and am blessed with 'somehow' having learned how to do it and keep my leakage well under control.

Does your cushion leave a mark anywhere that is visible more than about three minutes from awakening?  If so, it may be too tight, and it is deforming sufficiently that it leaks.  Perhaps not while you are conscious, but once you sag as you fall asleep it gets even more deformed and does actually leak at that point.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 59 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 194 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 140 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 9 1,424 04-11-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: kalensk
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,101 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 785 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 375 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.