Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal mask filling with some water and causing popping noise
Nasal mask filling with some water and causing popping noise
The last 2 nights  I am getting some water in my N20 nasal mask. When I inhale I'm getting a popping noise that wakes me up. I am also finding water droplets in the short connecting hose as well as the heated tubing which I assume is some of the mask water that maybe draining into the tubing when I take the mask off. 

I've tried taking mask off and drying nose cushion and putting mask back on. Popping noise returns rendering mask unusable at that point. 

Humidifier is set to auto with temp set at 82. Room temp is 70 with a/c

Nose cushion is 1 month old and cleaned regularly and dried. No mask leaks. I have a replacement cushion which I will try tonight. 

Any suggestions as to what is causing the problem?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask filling with some water and causing popping noise
The popping noise is probably water collecting in a low point in the hose to the point where it blocks the hose completely and the machine must force air through the water plug. The temporary solution once this has started is to lift the hose up high and allow the water in the hose to drain back into the tank. The longer term solution is to route the hose so that it continually ascends from the machine for half the  length of the hose without any low spots. This way any condensate in that part of the hose will simply drain back into the tank. I have my machine about 4" off the floor and the hose goes straight up to a loop that is held at about the heighth of the top of the mattress

I am not familiar with the Airsense 10 heated tubing and its operation. It seem a little different from my S9 machine but it sounds to me like the heated hose may not be heating. Check to make sure that the electrical contacts at the end of the hose are making good contact with the electrical contacts on the machine.

If I remember correctly with the Airsense 10 heated hose set to the auto mode maintains a relative humidity of 85% which is 5% above the S9 version. Resmed decided that was too much. The solution is to operate in manual mode or put an insulating sleeve around the hose. These insulating sleeves can be purchased. I like the ones from Padacheek which is Supplier #31 on the supplier list. There is a link to the supplier list at the top of the page. As an alternative you can make one of your own using any one of a number of things. I have heard of people using old socks or you could use Turkish towel material.

Hope this has been some help.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ticman1,
Make sure you aren’t over-filling your humidifier tank.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like rainout. No fun!

A heated hose can help.

A hose cover can help.

Adjusting down the humidity can help.

And it sounds like you have it set to auto-adjust, so that's good, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your responses. I've read a lot of posts dealing with humidity levels and temp of heated hose 

I have tried the following to try and find the right combination. 

Room temp 70 with a/c

Tried auto humidity and auto temp. Result was fair amount of water in nose cushion and some droplets in short house and heated hose. No accumulation of water at low point of hose. I could feel water in the nose cushion as I turned from side to side but never got water in my nose and never had trouble breathing. 

Last night I left humidity on auto and turned temp Down to 79. This morning after 8 1/2 hours sleep I had no droplets in hose and somewhat less water in nose cushion. I might try turning temp down to 78. 

If no improvement I might go to manual control of humidity and play with settings and temperature. 

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I forgot to say...

Make sure your machine is at a lower level than your head. For me, this means not putting it on the top of my nightstand, but rather on the lower shelf of it... which is more awkward and annoying to reach.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update. This morning, Monday, woke up with water in nose cushion AND water in low point of heated tube. 

Any suggested setting I should try?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why you keep getting water in your mask and hose. But have you tried apap without the humidity.
I run my AS10 without the humidifier some others like me prefer no humidity.
Just something else to try .
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. That's one thing I haven't tried
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep reading about "auto" humidity modes and temperature settings.
I do not have the Climateline hose, and all I have is the ability to adjust the humidity from "0" to 7 or 8 (I've forgotten where it tops out).

I generally run at 4, I occasionally get some condensation in the P10 or Wisp, F20 has remained clear. We keep the AC at 74 (downstairs, probably 76 in the bedroom) and the Nest reports humidity to average around 45... I don't think I've ever seen it higher than that, during the Santa Ana winds it might drop into the high 20s.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,254 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 85 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.