Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow masks
Nasal pillow masks
Hi all.

I have been trying different masks for more than 6 months now and I am still struggling to find the right one for me.
I am looking for a nasal pillow mask that is comfortable, lightweight, quiet and doesn't blast my wife every night with a jetstream.

I used to have the Mirage Swift FX nasal pillow mask which was great apart from it was very noisy and a strong gust would hit my wife every night.
I since then have tried a Mirage FX nasal mask, which was very quiet with a dispered stream of air, but I find nasal masks leave marks on each side of my nose.

At the moment, I have a Opus nasal pillows mask, made by Fisher & Paykel, but this one is also quite noisy and powerful with the exhaust air and it leaves large impronts on my cheeks which take a long time to go every morning, no matter how I adjust it.

I have seen the Mirage Swift II, which looks like it may the one I am looking for. They say it is quiet with dispersed air. Lightweight and the face straps look quite thin.
Anyone had any experience with this one? Or anyone got any better suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow masks
I have good luck with the Swift LT. You may need to lay on your side facing away from your wife, if you don't want to blow her out of bed.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
welcome to the forum.

you may want to look into the 3B Flex-Lite mask by 3B Products which is like a big tube nasal cannula with pillows that you can wear with or without the headgear like a nasal cannula.

just today my wife ordered an optilife mask which is a hybrid, mouth mask with nasal pillows.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 11:13 AM)almereian Wrote: At the moment, I have a Opus nasal pillows mask, made by Fisher & Paykel, but this one is also quite noisy and powerful with the exhaust air and it leaves large impronts on my cheeks which take a long time to go every morning, no matter how I adjust it.

I have the same mask and have exactly the same problems.

If you find something that eliminates these problems please let me know.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 11:13 AM)almereian Wrote: At the moment, I have a Opus nasal pillows mask, made by Fisher & Paykel, but this one is also quite noisy and powerful with the exhaust air and it leaves large impronts on my cheeks which take a long time to go every morning, no matter how I adjust it.

I found the same thing with the Opus. I handled the pressure points on the side of the face by using soft cloth covers over the plastic side straps- there are many available commercially.

However, the exhaust noise was just too much. It bothered me, and the wife. Too bad, becuase the Opus was the most comfortable mask I've ever used.

Since then, I went back to teh Mirage Micro nasal mask. Not quite as comfortable, but I have found it to be much more quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Breeze (Puritan Bennette) nasal mask. It is rather quiet, much more than the Swifts.

But the Breeze has the problem nearly all masks make: the racket when the air hits the pillow or sheets. The Breeze has a single hole outlet and all that air comes out in full force.

You and your wife have a set of decisions. Think of it as a flow chart.
  1. Do you want to sleep back to back? If yes, proceed to #7.
  2. Do you want to sleep facing each other (or you facing her)? If so, proceed to question 3.
  3. Which is worse: noise (go to #4) or the feel of the air (go to #5)?
  4. If noise is intolerable, then make sure nothing is in the way of the air as it comes out for at least 8" (I've measured and yes, I was that bored). Any closer and the noise starts increasing. Proceed to #7.
  5. If the feel of the air is intolerable, then pull the sheet up to just a few inches or more away from the mask. Or pull up the pillow case. Or place your hand in the way (which is what I do in the summer as it also helps to keep me cool). You can block the air from getting to her BUT don't block the air completely. That air HAS to come out as a CO2 outlet. Proceed to #7.
  6. If both are intolerable, then sleep back to back. (return to #1)
  7. Good night!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for all your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
So? What have you decided? What are you going to try?

Please let us know how it all works out.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 02:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
  1. Do you want to sleep back to back? If yes, proceed to #7.
  2. Do you want to sleep facing each other (or you facing her)? If so, proceed to question 3.
  3. Which is worse: noise (go to #4) or the feel of the air (go to #5)?
  4. If noise is intolerable, then make sure nothing is in the way of the air as it comes out for at least 8" (I've measured and yes, I was that bored). Any closer and the noise starts increasing. Proceed to #7.
  5. If the feel of the air is intolerable, then pull the sheet up to just a few inches or more away from the mask. Or pull up the pillow case. Or place your hand in the way (which is what I do in the summer as it also helps to keep me cool). You can block the air from getting to her BUT don't block the air completely. That air HAS to come out as a CO2 outlet. Proceed to #7.
  6. If both are intolerable, then sleep back to back. (return to #1)
  7. Good night!

Your BASIC programming skills are showing through. Bigwink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry. I try to hide it but sometimes it comes through.

Do they even teach flow charts anymore?

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.