Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal to FFM Questions
Nasal to FFM Questions
Hi,  

New to sleep apnea and CPAP.   Have been on the Dreamstation Auto for a week using a F&P Eson Nasal mask,  wasn't doing well;  so am switching to the F&P Simplus.  Any tips for switching from a nasal to a FFM?  

Also,  any tips on how to position the hose each night?  Last night I had it all at the top of the bed,  but whenever I rolled over it wouldn't stay?  

I have been reading and learning lots.  Thanks in advance for any insight. 

Jules
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal to FFM Questions
Hi Juleslp - Welcome
You may wish to look into a hose hanger.   This device uses a foot that slides between the box spring and matteress and supports a rod that has a bungee style noose to hold the hose up and away from you.    Just google "cpap hose hanger".   There are several on the market.  

The Simplus is a very good mask.   It seems to be designed to be worn a little low and initially loose to allow the seal to inflate.  F&P masks rely on air pressure to complete the seal.  Finally, it wouldn't hurt to read the Mask Primer written by one of our members.  Here is the link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Juleslp,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I like the Fisher & Paykel, (F&P) Simplus Full-face mask, (FFM), because it is very comfortable. It does work better for me if it is lower on my fface.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Juleslp, I switched from nasal pillows to FFM, Simplus, like yours. I'm using liners because I find it more comfortable. Either Remzzz or making my own. If you have a leak, lift the mask off the face and place it down again, or try setting it a bit higher up and then pull lower while it sits on the face. The Simplus is comfortable enough to sleep on the side as long as you let the mask hang over the edge of the pillow a bit. I also get fewer marks on my face than with the P10 pillows which have straps across the cheekbones, I really dislike that. Good luck with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape:   Thanks for the suggestion of the hose holder.  I got one;  but am not sure if I like the way it works.  I wake up and the hose is hanging right above my head which is kind of startling,  and am still waking up and feeling like I need to move the hose to where I am more comfortable. 

I received my new Simplus mask on Monday;  I tried wearing it last night;  but I feel like it is moving up and down on my face when I breath?  In order to get that to stop I feel like I have to overtighten the mask and then start getting a headache.  Do you find with this mask that it needs to be tight fitting?   With the Eson;  I don’t feel like I have the straps tight at all and the mask stays on pretty well. 

I have been getting ok numbers with the Eson mask;  AHI <5;  but am concerned that I am opening my mouth;  but am not sure how to tell that in the data. 

Thanks for everyone’s help;  I have been reading lots of posts and learning more and more about how to adjust and what to expect. 

Jules
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 08:55 AM)Juleslp Wrote: I have been getting ok numbers with the Eson mask;  AHI <5;  but am concerned that I am opening my mouth;  but am not sure how to tell that in the data. 
Just post your Sleepyhead charts, we can help you understand them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 08:55 AM)Juleslp Wrote: I received my new Simplus mask on Monday;  I tried wearing it last night;  but I feel like it is moving up and down on my face when I breath?  In order to get that to stop I feel like I have to overtighten the mask and then start getting a headache.  Do you find with this mask that it needs to be tight fitting?   With the Eson;  I don’t feel like I have the straps tight at all and the mask stays on pretty well. 

Both of those masks work best if not overly tight.  If it is giving you a headache, that is more that overly tight!  The Simplus has a larger seal (larger area), so it will feel different than the Eson.  The moving up and down on your face sounds like the seal absorbing the changes as you breathe in and out.  I don't recall that sensation, but we are all different.  Can you try thinking about something else and see if you get used to it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wear the mask during the day to get used to the sensation. I love the Simplus and switch between it and the Nuance.

I tuck my hose along the edge of the mattress and then kinda under my pillow. The rest just hangs around. This gives me room to move without pulling the machine down or dislodging the hose.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are links to two nights from this week.  These are both wearing the F&P Eson,  not the Simplus;  I have yet to try that overnight. 

http://i.imgur.com/DwHvnOs.png

http://i.imgur.com/EWeB9rj.png

Please let me know what you think;  and thanks for all your guidance and support. 

Jules
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say you are not having leak issues. If you look where it says large leak, one night you are not even at 1% and the next night, you are under 2%.

Mask leaks are big spikes with big drops. They don't last long. Or shouldn't unless the mask has fallen off or really dislodged. Even then, the spike would be tall.
[Image: reg-leaks_zpsflhubipg.jpg]

Mouth leaks are longer, wider.
[Image: mouth-leak_zpsphdfzsjb.jpg]
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.