Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respiratory rate and mask pressure?
Respiratory rate and mask pressure?
Hello everyone

For past month I have moved from mouth taping back to chin strap and my leaks have been reasonable. I am noticing from my graphs that I have high flow limits, pressures keep fluctuating too much and respiratory rates are all over the place. What can I do to manage that despite low AHI?

Thank you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respiratory rate and mask pressure?
With ASV therapy, we ignore the flow limits. When an individual does not spontaneously trigger a breath, the ASV increases pressure support to cause a breath. This machine triggered breath can often appear flow-limited with a flat inspiratory peak due to a lack of inspiratory effort by the user. The longer duration FL at 01:15 may be positional and appears to be the result of real airway resistance with increased respiratory effort. Note that pressure support was not greatly assisting this "event" until the flow limit dropped and PS increased in response to a drop in respiratory rate. Best explanation is that the drop in resp rate is in response to preceding hyperventilation.

Pressure support fluctuates based on the adaptive algorithm to maintain the breathing rate and volume. The increases in PS occur where your respiration rate or minute vent has dropped below the 90-second running average. You are using ASV rather than ASV auto, and your PS is 1.2 to 8.0. I think you should consider a higher PS min of 2.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.