Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help. Saliva Loosening Mouth Tape
Need Help. Saliva Loosening Mouth Tape
Hi All,

I'm having issues with keeping my mouth tape on throughout the night, it often comes loose about an hour into sleep resulting in a mouth leak. I've found that where the tape has leaked, there is considerable amount of saliva also present. My pressure is set to 7cm, humidity on auto, P30i mask.

Here are the following tapes that i have tried.

3M Nexcare Micropore tape.
3M Nexcare Silicon transparent tape.
3M Nexcare Waterproof tape.

Any advice on tape brand, but also mouth taping techniques in general would be much appreciated. Has anyone also explored turning down the humidity to see whether that decreased mostuire keeps the tape on?

thanks for the help,
Norman.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help. Saliva Loosening Mouth Tape
I use Smith and Nephew/BSN Cover-Roll Stretch - 2" x 10 Yards - Hypoallergenic. You can get it on Amazon for about 12 bucks for 2 rolls.

I cut it about 1" from the corners of my mouth and parse my lips together to the point of it being almost uncomfortable. It hold all night and my humidity is set high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, thanks for the reply, do you find that it holds even through nights were you may have a lot of saliva? Have you ever had saliva on the tape?

Kind regards,
N.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't find that to be an issue and sometimes I find a little wetness. 
Another thing you can try.... Press your tongue up to the roof of your mouth and hold it there, sucking it up to stick (so to speak). It takes some training, but I find after you get used to the troubles you have to go through to accomplish a good nights sleep you will be satisfied. It's all worth the experimenting until you get it right... Don't give up!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use this. Love it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
NexCare Strong Hold, blue tape. If you wash around your mouth before applying the tapw with hand soap and warm water, and remove the tape very slowly next morning, it will stay on and can be re-used at least once.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tape is much more popular than most people think.
Always happy to see tape threads.
For many, tape makes xPAP therapy work by being the only way for many to eliminate leaks.

3M blue surgical silicone tape works for me.
It's important to leave extra on both ends, though its much higher price might make one reluctant to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the 3M Micropore tape and don't have any problem.  I even put a little Healthy Jelly (vaseline alternative) on my lips before applying the tape and it still holds well.  I am using the 3 inch tape.  I primarily sleep on my back, with short periods on my sides.  I don't suppose you are sleeping on your stomach..?  I could see how that may cause the saliva problem.  My pressure is similar to yours but I am not using any humidity.  I used to and did have more wetness issues but never have had consistent problems with the tape coming off. Maybe you are not cutting a big enough piece of tape to cover your mouth sufficiently.  I've used 1" Transpore tape and it worked too, but it leaves a LOT of residue to clean off in the morning.  I do always purse my lips before applying. Not sure if I helped much.  Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok so i tried fixomull stretch tape, which is the Aussie equivalent of cover-all tape. It worked much better. Is it normal to still get some leak with cover-all tape? When i push hard against the tape, it seems to leak through the tape? Is this something to even be concerned about? Obviously leak through the tape is no where near equivalent to leak without, but unfortunately it is still causing me arousals.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3M Kind Removal Silicone Tape - 2 Inch that I get from  Amazon.  I also have a significant problem with saliva. This tape seems to work pretty well if I get the 2 inch wide version.  You can actually rinse it and use it more than once.  I also can get the same result by using a chin strap.  I use the resmed type which for me is more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 118 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 258 04-23-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,387 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 167 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 945 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 140 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 678 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.