Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help. Saliva Loosening Mouth Tape
RE: Need Help. Saliva Loosening Mouth Tape
I'm struggling with this problem as well.

I'm currently using 4" Cover-Roll Stretch (Leukoplast brand? by BSN, Made in Germany). Each night I seem to drool and the saliva loosens the tape in one corner of my mouth, and then I wake up feeling like i've been struggling to breathe through the little open corner. Seems to very consistently interrupt my sleep after at least ~4h and the next 4h I'm waking up constantly. I do have a beard which I think is giving the tape a worse seal.

Not sure what brand of tape to try next... Really trying to avoid losing the beard if possible...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so pleased to see the posts here! Thanks for the hints.

Long ago I worked for 3M in Canada and I'm allergic to their tapes with solvent based adhesive. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that tapes that don't stick have water based adhesive. Way back they had a program, "pollution prevention saves" and swung some adhesives from solvent-based to water-based...and I'm ok with water based. I don't have the skill to read the labels to see if the products are water based.

Useless fact: they used to coat tape in 5 foot rolls!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone know which 3M tapes are solvent-based?
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was a faithful employee they referred to an ingredient in the adhesive as RM19....raw material 19. That was so we wouldn't somehow reveal what it took to make tape. I don't know how to read the code to see what's inside.
DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Norman,

Yep, Fixomull here downunder.

I have stopped using this for the most part, it is great stuff, sticks well, easy to remove in the morning and I usually got 2 - 5 night use out of each strip.

I could never stop the leaks even with full mouth taping and using nasal pillows.

For me there is always some leakage around the nasal pillows whichever type/sort/size I use.

Full mouth taping made me very uncomfortable so I resorted to partial mouth taping.

(I managed to get near zero leaks with F30i full face mask but this caused other problems.)

I eventually got used to the leaks and average around 20 to 25 most nights even with no mouth tape.

Using a soft cervical collar helps to reduce the leak rate too.

btw I started end 2019 and only now am comfortable with where I am with CPAP (Vauto)

but that is another long story.

Stick with the Fixomull, I haven't found anything better.

Best,

Chris/ Perth WA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 78 5 hours ago
Last Post: Narcil
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 232 Yesterday, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,348 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 164 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 932 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 136 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 672 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.