Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Understanding and Addrssing FlowRate Anomalies
Need Help Understanding and Addrssing FlowRate Anomalies
Attached are several charts for the same night. The first shows the flow chart for the entire night. This is not an atypical flow rate pattern for me. (Yes, I know I stayed up too late, but I see similar flow rate graphs when I’m in bed by midnight.) Flow rate is fairly consistent until about 5:30 and then changes significantly until my bathroom break at 7:30. I’m wondering what would cause such a change and is it any reason for concern?

[attachment=13748]

Another is a 2 min screen shot from about 1 hr after donning the mask.  Perhaps a trace of flow limitation but I don’t think there’s need for concern.

[attachment=13749]

The 3rd is a 2min shot from 7:06. The pattern was similar for the entire 2hr period from 5:30 to 7:30. Obvious significant flow limitation and some snoring if I’m interpreting correctly. The pattern doesn't exactly match the examples of flow limitation I've seen.

[attachment=13750]

Finally 2 min from the hour after my bathroom break. Couldn’t ask for a better pattern.

[attachment=13751]

So for 2 out of 7 hours I had significant flow limitations (I think).

I looked back at a couple of months of charts and I have similar 1-2 hr periods of similar significant changes in the flow rate pattern and flow flow limitation once or twice nightly for about 30 out of 60 nights. My AHI is always less than one and I rarely have RERAS. I don’t, however, feel as rested as I should. I suspect the issue is positional. I wear a soft cervical collar so I don’t think its chin tucking. I usually sleep on my side but know that I sometimes shift to my back and that may be the cause.  

I’m thinking a minimum pressure increase may eliminate the problem. I tolerate 9cm with no problem and my pressure frequently increases to 12-13cm some nights.  I don’t think a minimum pressure increase would be a comfort problem. Thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated, especially if my thinking is all wrong.

Thanks
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help Understanding and Addrssing FlowRate Anomalies
I'm inclined to suspect a positional issue as well. IDK if this applies to you but after many awakenings each night I usually have my longest and deepest sleep between about 4 and 7am. I assume deepest sleep is why I seem to get more leaks and events during those hours. I make it a point to side sleep but lately I've noticed waking in the morning on my back, lip leaking and falling into old habits like thrashing and holding my breath. the trick now is to settle on a method to keep me off my back. maybe like you my best (most refreshing) sleep of the night tends to be after rising for a while in the morning, even after - maybe especially after - a cup of coffee. no joke, it's weird. same thing when I used to take Rx stimulants to get through the day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,574 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 431 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 817 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 823 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Help Understanding Sleep Study and Titration Test DGJ1014 9 583 12-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.