Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help. Why is my breath not sinusoidal? What does this shape mean?
Need Help. Why is my breath not sinusoidal? What does this shape mean?
Hi Everyone,

Please see attached screenshot of my breathing pattern at night. The shape of my breath is very rarely sinusodial and looks like the following:

Can someone please let me know what is going on here? How do i get to those nice rounded breathes?.

References is made to the following from the wiki: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...limitation

It looks like i might have some sort of flow limitation problems that EPR will fix??? Im so confused. Please help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help. Why is my breath not sinusoidal? What does this shape mean?
Yours appear like the 4th graph.
[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whats interesting is that the machine isn't registering any flow limitation. Does that mean my pressure needs to increase if im still experiencing flow limitation? What about using EPR 1 as the apnea board wiki article suggests? I've seen other posts on this board as well as on the wiki suggesting that an EPR setting can help smooth out the graph. 

Cheers,
N.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another member reported that their AS10 got stuck reporting no apneas.  It was resolved by totally removing the power for about 30-seconds then reapply the power.  The AirCurve 10 VAuto will not report flow limitations when it is set to the "S" mode.  This is the only model that I am aware of that does this, normally.

We prefer that you provide the complete Daily screenshot.  This provides the reader with valuable information and allows for a better response to your questions.  Please follow the steps I have listed below to create the shot.
  1. Make sure that your display is set to the Standard view.  (View > Reset Graphs > Standard)
  2. To take a screenshot of your Daily screen, select one of the following:
    • For Windows or Linux: Use the F12 key
    • For a Mac: Use the Fn+F12  key combination.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apologies i meant when my breath looks like the above, the machine does not register this as flow limitation. So as per the screenshot you sent, if my breathing resembles the number 4, which is flow limited inspiration, then surely the machine would display flow limitation no?
Post Reply Post Reply
All of my Resmed units are terrible at identifying early patterns of obvious flow limited breathing, and it let's it descend in to semi-hypopnea waxing/waning chaos that trashes entire sleep stages.

Garbage, in my opinion. This of course means we have to use fixed pressure and titrate ourselves throughout all sleep stages.

I do not know why this is, when everyone shouts the praises of the aggressiveness of Resmed units.

So we shall suffer hours of respiratory effort, borderline hyponeas and our natural systems over correcting and under correcting endlessly as our brain tries to deal with the limited respiratory flow while the Resmed does nothing.

Resmed APAP is the guy who shouts FIRE when your house is already smoking and glowing embers.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed algorithmically measures the slope of the breathform. We do not have access to what that specifically is. The FL graph is not a graph of actual flow limits but a 0-1 index of the slope as determined by that algorithm. You will see a good correlation between that chart and pressure increases. The 95% FL stat gives a pretty good representation of how bad your flow limits are. Unfortunately currently it is the manual eye that is best at seeing these events.

That said, there is no pap machine that recognizes flow limits accurately.

It is better than Philips which uses snores to indicate future upcoming obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate the responses.

But just going back to the oscar screenshot, do we agree that this is flow limited breathing? Should I mess around with my settings to try and get a better result?

Cheers,
N.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart is only about 1 minute of time.  We have no idea if this is the same all night or just when you were turning over once.  I would suggest you put up the entire night with the left column to help see what is going on.  Then a few different close-ups of your breathing instead of just 1 minute of an entire night.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,186 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Flow curve shape - what does it say? pezhead99 17 1,327 10-20-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 893 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,493 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Shortness of Breath - Low Oxygen level Sandyelle 3 638 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Understanding Flow Limitations and Flow Rate Shape zzzJ 15 3,985 06-18-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Ardeo77
Sad Causes of Expiatory Mouth Breath? Norman2195 8 883 05-31-2023, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.