Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Machine Advice, Self Financing
Need Machine Advice, Self Financing
I need help deciding what I should get. My finances were much tighter when I bought my current one 3 years ago, it's time to upgrade. My doc set me up to pick one out at the local equip place, but given I'd be paying for it anyway (nowhere near reaching my deductible...and may not all year) I'm thinking just shop for one online and be done with it....especially since I'd have more choice (and they're talking $900 cash or $120/mo for 13 months for something I could likely buy for $750 online)

I was reading about the Dreamstation, but also seeing a lot of people stump the Airsense 10, which this appears to be. I like the idea of an APAP with smart capabilities.
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
RE: Need Machine Advice, Self Financing
You are currently using a ResMed so it makes sense to continue to do do unléss your current machine is giving you issues .

The DreamStation is also a good machine and many here use it.
In general ResMed is preferred because they react to events faster than the DreamStation and EPR is similar to Pressure Support on a BiPAP which makes it a bit more flexible.

I would suggest that you post a see of nightly SleepyHead charts so we can make sure you don't need a more advanced model.  I doubt you do but checking is a lot cheaper than buying 2 machines.

I recommend the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for her (has an extra algorithm) for a basic APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #2 on our supplier list has great deals on lightly used machines with warranty or there can be some great deals found on Craig’s list I would recommend a lightly used Resmed Autoset 10 which Supplier #2 has for less than $500
Post Reply Post Reply
I am self financing because the Australian government doesn't view OSA as serious enough to warrant Medicare for treatment. The health insurance providers, mine included have followed their lead. The downside is that if your GP reports your condition to the state govt then you lose your drivers licence until you can prove you are treating your condition. My GP chose not to go down this path, bless him.

However, I still had to fully finance my own therapy and discovered the Supplier #2, as mentioned above is the best bang for your buck that you will get. I've purchased three machines from them and have been totally satisfied with their service.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually that Resmed 8 was what I had when I first registered here. That died 3 yrs ago and I'd bought a Respironics Sleepeasy because of the low cost. But lately I've thought it's not doing as well as it should for me, plus the whole APAP/auto adjust thing seems like something I need. I have good insurance, but I haven't touched my deductible for the year and don't know how much I will. So, to me not a lot of point to make payments of over $1,000 just to put it on insurance vs buying a machine outright for half that.

My current one does have a humidifier and flex, but I'd moved my pressure up thinking that was an issue and maybe the issue is the opposite- with an APAP the machine would make the adjustment. My current one also has no software capability for me to get data to look at. So from that end, it just seems time for a new machine and the question becomes which one (rather than having the med place tell me which one).
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is an APAP or even just a CPAP you are after I would go for a ResMed.
I have used a few machines in my time and the ResMed is by far the best I have used.
There are other good machines I have not had the chance to use out there, so they might still be worth a look.
However, I tried three machines before I settled on the ResMed Airsense 10 Aoutset.
I had a ResMed 9, a Dreamstation and the above mentioned machine.  Out of the three of them I chose the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, it just had the edge over the Dreamstation.  Better design with the humidifier at the side instead of the back that the Dreamstation has.
The Resmed 10 was just a bit tidier and easier to pack for travel and just had the edge over the Dreamstation.
There is also the ResMed 10 "For her" if you fancy a silver machine with nice patterns on it and a pinkish purple light on the display, it also has a softer mode, but is it worth the extra, not really!
Only thing to watch is the ResMed make it difficult if you want to run it on 12Vdc as it is 24Vdc and you need an adaptor.
If that is not a problem then I would have a good look at the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Give the Dreamstation a look as well, if you do not like the ResMed.
As I say there are others out there, but a point to watch when you buy, make sure it is compatible with Sleepyhead software.
This allows you to view your results if you have problems in graphs, which you can post here for help if need be.
The Dreamstation and the ResMed is and a couple of others, but get a machine that is up to date.

I love the ResMed, if I had been given the Dreamstation I would have been happy enough, but when I got the choice I chose the one with the edge over the others.  Why wouldn't I given the choice.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I also recommend the Resmed brand.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Trusting your judgment (supported by more research) I just ordered a Resmed Autoset 10 gently used for under $500 Wink
As I was looking I saw 2 other Resmed 10 models? Well, besides the 'Her' ....the not autoset and the elite.....

hadn't even realized (even tho this may have been where I got my previous machine as well) that the company is a couple hundred miles down the 'Laura Ingalls' highway from where I live....should shorten the delivery time!
Post Reply Post Reply
In the meantime, download and install Sleepyhead (free).  It is the tool we prefer to use when evaluating the effectiveness of treatment and to alert us that something is happening that requires a doctors intervention.  (It is our secret weapon, shhh don't tell anyone Bigwink)
Post Reply Post Reply
After my sleep study results revealed severe apnea I met with the clinician and was seated in a room with a wall full of shelves with various masks and machines. I had a ton of questions answered and took the opportunity to examine items on display. They had the Resmed and Phillips machines placed in positions 1 and 2, if you are a left to right sort like me. Other machines just looked too large and did not appeal to my design sense.
So I putzed around with the Airsense 10 and Dreamstation with an eye towards living with these as my new long term companions to treat my apnea. I admit that I didn't know at that time that the Airsense Autoset was determined to be somewhat faster at reacting to certain conditions, I believed that both machines were essentially equally capable and it came down to the tube connection point and humidifier maintenance.
Personally it seemed to me that having the swivelling tube connection on top of the Dreamstation was more sensible and would better follow any nighttime movements without losing reach to me caused by being behind the machine, plus the humidity tank of the Dreamstation is more wash friendly and leakage seals are on the machine enclosure, not the clamshell tank like the Resmed.
Again, when it came to a mask, it was up to me while they suggested starting with a nasal mask I could select what I wanted. Without trying them on, it was a Resmed mask that looked to me to be best based upon the strap or headgear as well as the shell and insert design while thinking about my side sleeping preference and thoughts of easy maintenance.
After a short trial of the Dreamstation and Resmed mask I decided to buy the same units online as I was comfortable and happy.
My Dreamstation is still learning about me and using Optistart, it has now increased my start pressure to be closer to my 90% nightly pressure requirement. It was initially set at 6-16 as a range at the sleep clinic and when I received my online purchased Dreamstation I set it to the same, but reduced the ramp time down, don't really use that anymore but have smart ramp enabled, and changed the Autoflex pressure relief setting up a notch to 2 from the clinic setting of 3. I did this as my first few weeks caused my nose or sinuses to be a little runny and having a tiny bit more to push back against on exhalation I thought would be akin to a nose pinch and pressure to clear my head a little with that slight ear pop eustachian tube sort of thing.
My nephew, just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, has been given a Resmed Autoset for her with a Resmed nasal pillow mask, Airfit 10 I think. After 2 nights he can't seem to stand it and couldn't fall asleep and pulled it off after less than an hour each time. I'll continue to gently urge him to explore options with his care team and review things on the web; don't want him to leave things to get worse over the years and follow in my footsteps.
Sorry for the longish rant, I guess I really wanted to say that the best machine is the one that you believe you will like the most, and use the most while finding it easy to clean and maintain. You will be healthier as a result it seems to me. Can't really go wrong with either of your choices.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,260 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,525 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 286 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,026 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.