Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advice with soft cervical collar
Question 
Need advice with soft cervical collar
Good morning 

First of all , big thanks at everyone helping peoples on this forum , I learned a lot since the beginning of my cpap journey (4 years).

I discovered that I have positional apnea ( chin tucking ) . I was able to now transition to a nasal mask and a soft cervical collar , had some decent sleep since . 

I bought the caldera releaf soft cervical for help with the chin tucking , had good results . Almost no mouth leaking (couple tiny spikes here and here , but nothing to really disturb me and it work way better than mouth taping )

My only issue is my teeth is a little sore in the morning . I never grinder my teeth so I am pretty sure that is just me resting my chin on collar that squash my mouth . Sometime my neck is a little sore but nothing for bothering .

Is it maybe the collar is too high/wrong collar type (I have the good size by caldera charts) ?Or a pillow  problem? My pillow is a memory foam that you put inserts for the thickness , do people with SCC sleep on thicker pillow or smaller ?

Thanks for your answers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advice with soft cervical collar
Is the collar too high for you? Measure from the bottom of your chin to the top of your sternum or breastbone. If the collar is too high, it can push your jaw up and put pressure on your teeth. If not high enough, then your chin can slip under it.

Your bed pillow should be supportive, but not too high. A too high of a pillow will push your head forward. A too thin of a pillow may not support your head and neck properly.
As with anything else, this is usually trial and error.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The attached may help with sizing. 

I have used the Caldera Releaf for years and agree it is an excellent SCC. All the collar does is keep your head from dropping down to your chest, which helps keep your mouth closed by the weight of your head. I imagine it could cause jaw pain if you continually press it against the collar, but that seems difficult to maintain for any time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2024, 09:05 AM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: The attached may help with sizing. 

I have used the Caldera Releaf for years and agree it is an excellent SCC. All the collar does is keep your head from dropping down to your chest, which helps keep your mouth closed by the weight of your head. I imagine it could cause jaw pain if you continually press it against the collar, but that seems difficult to maintain for any time.

Thanks for the reply , so I was checking on the web regarding the size. It seems the only difference between large and medium is the width (if you have a larger neck ) but the height seems the same for both ?
Post Reply Post Reply
That is my understanding as well. They only make one height for the Releaf of 3.5”. Their ALT collar is about 4” tall.

If you want other height options, there are quite a few on Amazon that people seem to like. In particular the Velpeau and Core products.
Post Reply Post Reply
My teeth were sore the first couple nights of a collar (had to go to 2.5"high), but it decreased and I stopped the mouth tape while using it. I have a small palate...For me I think the collar tried to position my jaw correctly but that made my lower teeth push against my upper teeth .
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered using a sports mouth guard (boil & bite) to avoid teeth pain?
Post Reply Post Reply
I too used the Caldera collar.  It was comfortable but did not completely solve my problem.  I bought a flatter child-sized pillow with a bottom edge that holds my head tipped back slightly.  This solved my positional apnea completely.  My pillow is no longer made, but there are a couple on Amazon that probably would work the same way.  Here are the links:

https://www.amazon.com/Hcore-Adjustable-...r=8-6&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/MLILY-Adjustable-...r=8-2&th=1

These have removable layers so you can go flatter if it works better for you.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 124 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,106 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 81 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 209 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 595 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,661 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 375 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.