Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need cheap dental appliance. Any suggestions? Mexico?
Need cheap dental appliance. Any suggestions? Mexico?
I went today to Dr. Cohen in Phoenix AZ. I was told sleep apnea dental appliance usually runs about 6k, but that I need to come out of pocket about 1300 with my Blue Cross blue shield insurance of AZ.
I am considering going to Mexico to save some money and have this done. Whats realistic to expect for a dental appliance with insurance. Anyone have any suggestions to get this done cheaper.
Thanks in advance.
I live in Scottsdale AZ

I had a sleep study done with AHI of 17 (mild sleep apnea)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need cheap dental appliance. Any suggestions? Mexico?
Why an appliance.  You can get a top quality CPAP machine on Amazon for less than $500 most of the time.  Dental appliances are only partially effective and result in permanent changes to your bite (e.g. eventually you won't be able to chew properly).

And $6K seems pretty rich.  $2-3 seems more normal.  Somnodent is one of the best ones out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi esaloum  - Welcome

In all honesty it would be cheaper to buy a new CPAP out of pocket. You would probably have better results as well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto to what others have said above. I have tried the better mail order ones since my dentist told me that even the one he would make for me would cost $1,000s and change my bite, not for the better. He actually warned me off of getting one based on past experiences of his patients. The receptionist at our dental office told me her Uncle used a Dentist made one for months and their bite was changed drastically and permanently. It never went back to what it was and a couple of years later is still giving him grief.

After trying a few of the higher rated ones online (that were reputed to be adjustable or hinged and did not change your bite so significantly...or so they said) I can tell you that categorically they did not work for me. My bite was changed drastically and I did not like it!! Thankfully I only used them for a few days and my bite eventually reverted back to normal (or near enough to it.) My APAP machine stopped my snoring and more importantly my apneas completely, with no side effects.

My sleep study came back with an AHI score of 46.7. I score consistently under 1 every night with most nights under .6 and I even had a couple of nights with a 0. A dental appliance would never get you those kind of results and would result in a very uncomfortable change in your bite. You have no idea just how uncomfortable that is until you experience it...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2017, 01:44 PM)chill Wrote: Why an appliance.  You can get a top quality CPAP machine on Amazon for less than $500 most of the time.  Dental appliances are only partially effective and result in permanent changes to your bite (e.g. eventually you won't be able to chew properly).

And $6K seems pretty rich.  $2-3 seems more normal.  Somnodent is one of the best ones out there.

Which CPAP on Amazon would you recommend?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Phillips (Respironics) DreamStation Auto is often available for a very good price.  Resmed units are sometimes available.  Note NOT Resmart which are third tier machines from China.  Commercial links are not allowed so you will have to search for yourself.  

Educate yourself about machine choices here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Also see Supplier #2 on the Supplier List link at the top of this page.  You can often find used ones on Craigslist, but it is buyer beware.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi esaloum,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The CPAP machine is a better choice, the dental devices don’t always work in the long term.
Good luck to you on your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
esaloum, first, the price you were quoted is ridiculously expensive. Dental appliances are rarely more than $2000, even custom ones. They don't require the same refitting as required by braces. Secondly, as other people have said, many dentists DO NOT recommend long-term use of dental appliances as they cause problems all by themselves. Even custom ones designed to assist with TMJ (car crashes and injuries) and bruxism help for a time and then cause more problems. However, there are no alternatives for those conditions.

Finally, you should be aware that most health insurers do not cover treatment for TMJ. Since dental appliances often cause TMJ problems, you would be out even more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2017, 01:44 PM)chill Wrote: Dental appliances are only partially effective and result in permanent changes to your bite (e.g. eventually you won't be able to chew properly).

This.

I tried one available online (adjustable, about $100) and it was both not effective, and within a very short time frame created a painful TMJ condition.  As my body attempted to get used to it, I was finding that I was simply opening my mouth and letting it drop out, or opening enough to allow my jaw to move back.
A medical-grade device may solve the mouth opening problem, but the law position issue will remain.

I think it's still in the hall closet and I need to pitch it.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your post says you had a sleep study done.
Did they do the titration and prescribe a machine/settings?

If you do not need a bipap you can get an Airsense 10 new for about 470 on Amazon and then pick your mask locally, whatever.
I like the dreamwear with cushions and you can find it and parts there too all the time for good prices.
Right now they have the fitpak version with pillows for $70.

I know several people who have used dental appliances for whatever reason and they were always happy at the beginning, not the end.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up Evora, need suggestions PaulaO2 0 46 7 hours ago
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 542 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 766 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 197 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,096 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 315 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.