Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help deciphering data from OSCAR
Need help deciphering data from OSCAR
New member here but have been lurking for months! Thanks to all for the great information and discussions, I hope to now contribute myself now that I'm registered. 

My Question/Issue: 

During my last visit to my pulmonologist, with the complaint of daytime tiredness, he showed me his computer screen that showed I was doing just fine with my BiPap and that the machine and it's settings were not the issue. Not that I do not believe him but the data he had on his screen seemed too simple. I figured these newer machines (mine is a Dream Machine set on auto bi-pap) would give all kinds of data that would show every little nuance. His screen only showed a little bit of data such as leaks and AHI. 

So I researched here and downloaded the OSCAR software. After uploading my SD Card....all sorts of data came up! Way more than he had on his screen!

Issue is, I have no clue what half of it means and if I should be concerned about any of the read outs or which ones I should be focusing on. 

Can all that data be uploaded somewhere and someone much more versed in it look it over and give me some thoughts or some things to look deeper into? Or maybe point me to a simple breakdown of how/what to be looking at within the OSCAR software. 

Thanks in advance! 
Nick
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help deciphering data from OSCAR
Hi Nick - take a look at this, and post an example night or two per the instructions?

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nick, as Slowwriter said the answer is yes, the place is here.
There are many people here that are more than capable of helping you with an interpretation of OSCAR data and offering solid advice on changes to your settings if needed. This includes OSCAR's Developers and Staff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2020, 04:58 PM)bonjour Wrote: Nick,  as Slowwriter said the answer is yes, the place is here.  
There are many people here that are more than capable of helping you with an interpretation of OSCAR data and offering solid advice on changes to your settings if needed.  This includes OSCAR's Developers and Staff.

Wow, I'm learning very  quickly that this software and those who developed/run it, might know a thing or two Smile

So i believe I followed the directions correctly and have attached 2 screenshots. Is this an ok place to post them or should I start a new thread or in a new category? 

Post Reply Post Reply
Nick, I have edited your post to tidy things up for you. This is the right place to post your charts and questions - we prefer you to keep all your stuff together.

Your charts look pretty darn good on the whole, but I'll let others comment on that.

Some of the background to interpret the data can be found in the links below. And yes, OSCAR certainly does show you a heck of a lot more than the doctor typically sees. It's not that he doesn't have the data available, it's just that docs don't have the time or financial incentive to dig into the details and intricacies, so in many cases they only look at the summary data. They look for compliance, AHI and an overall impression of how you're feeling.

Oscar help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...OSCAR_Help

CPAP data interpretation: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rpretation

Beginner's guide to SleepyHead: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Stistudent, you have a BiPAP set to provide 0-8 pressure support. Chande the Pressure support to a range of 3-4 and you will be amazed at the difference. Just because a machine is supposed to be automatic doesn’t mean it performs best without optimization. This should clear up hypopnea and flow limits a bit. We can review after you try the change
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2020, 04:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Stistudent, you have a BiPAP set to provide 0-8 pressure support. Chande the Pressure support to a range of 3-4 and you will be amazed at the difference. Just because a machine is supposed to be automatic doesn’t mean it performs best without optimization. This should clear up hypopnea and flow limits a bit. We can review after you try the change

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I’m looking for any help on optimization I can get!

I’m pretty familiar with my menu options and setup but not this one. Does ‘pressure support’ go by another name by chance?

(01-02-2020, 11:53 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Nick, I have edited your post to tidy things up for you. This is the right place to post your charts and questions - we prefer you to keep all your stuff together.

Your charts look pretty darn good on the whole, but I'll let others comment on that.

Some of the background to interpret the data can be found in the links below. And yes, certainly does show you a heck of a lot more than the doctor typically sees. It's not that he doesn't have the data available, it's just that docs don't have the time or financial incentive to dig into the details and intricacies, so in many cases they only look at the summary data. They look for compliance, AHI and an overall impression of how you're feeling.

Thanks for the reply and the links. I’ll for sure give them a look! I was hoping there was something glaring to explain my daytime fatigue but will just have to keep digging
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured pressure support out, it’s the min/max difference between ipap and epap. I’ll change to min 3 max 4 and see what happens. 

I had it on 0 as min because my menu readings were showing my average ipap and epap to be almost the same (almost like a cpap) so I figured they needed to be that close. 

Now changing to 3/4 won’t allow it, correct?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 49 7 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 143 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 174 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.