Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help interpreting Pulse Oximetry results
RE: Need help interpreting Pulse Oximetry results

Ok, I think this is what you need.  Thanks for your patience.  Feel free to use me as an example of what not to do.   Smile Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes! That looks a lot better than I expected. No flow limitation or issues there. What I see is a very good tidal volume and respiration rate and minute vent above average. This should be keeping you well ventilated. We can see some of the events from the pulse-ox chart correspond with events on the full-night Oscar. Your hypopnea at 01:30 shows up as a desaturation, but other dips in SpO2 at 02:10 and 02:30 are not evident in the Oscar chart. I think we can see the OA event at 05:50 produces a very deep dip just after 06:00 on the oximetry graph. The graphs are offset by about 10 minutes, so those add up. There are a number of dips in the oximetry graph that have no corresponding events or unusually low respiratory flow rate, so those may or may not be real, but there are not respiratory events to explain all of it.

I don't see significant issues with your therapy. The few OA events occur in clusters, so I think chin-tucking is an occasional problem as discussed in this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea The problem is not frequent or serious enough to merit a soft cervical collar, but be aware of it. With PS 5.0 and EPAP min 8.6 and max pressure 18, your pressure appears to be optimized and fluctuates very little. This looks like a PAP result that is very good, and while there are some unexplained desaturations in the oximetry, it also is pretty solid in the middle to upper 95-100 range most of the time. I think you could save some money and just buy your own recording oximeter that works with Oscar if you want to keep monitoring. There is nothing here that seems to require that monitoring.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks.  I mean....THANKS!  I must've been crazy thinking I could pay a Dr. to explain this lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
There seem to be a lot of pulse changes here, along with a flow graph that appears quite "furry". Maybe there's more to your condition than just plain OSA, particularly given that you're not feeling better with PAP therapy?

Did you have a sleep study that you can share a redacted report from? If so, did it look at leg/limb movements?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2021, 11:32 PM)kappa Wrote: There seem to be a lot of pulse changes here, along with a flow graph that appears quite "furry". Maybe there's more to your condition than just plain OSA, particularly given that you're not feeling better with PAP therapy?

Did you have a sleep study that you can share a redacted report from? If so, did it look at leg/limb movements?

Hi,

I thought I replied to this, but anyway, I can share my initial sleep study or any recent Oscar data.  Let me know what works for you.  My sleep study was from 3 years ago and I don't think I have any charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mindbullets. Yes, please share what you have of your sleep study (with appropriate redaction).
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=31033 Wrote: pid='388526 dateline='1616631754']         Hi Mindbullets. Yes, please share what you have of your sleep study (with appropriate redaction).

I hope this is what you need.  Thank you very much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mindbullets. So there was no measurement of leg movements, and I suspect that even if there had been the results would probably not be that useful given the number of obstructive events observed.

Compared to the baseline study, your OSA is very well controlled. One thing I notice in the 3 minute OSCAR grab is that your respiration rate is quite variable. It might be informative to see the Minute Ventilation and Respiration Rate charts from OSCAR for the full night of your recent SpO2 study.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=31039 Wrote:kappa pid='388537' dateline='1616652084']Thanks Mindbullets. So there was no measurement of leg movements, and I suspect that even if there had been the results would probably not be that useful given the number of obstructive events observed.

Compared to the baseline study, your OSA is very well controlled. One thing I notice in the 3 minute OSCAR grab is that your respiration rate is quite variable. It might be informative to see the Minute Ventilation and Respiration Rate charts from OSCAR for the full night of your recent SpO2 study.

Ok, here is Minute Vent and Respiration rate charts from that night.  Let me know if you need anything else.  I greatly appreciate your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The type of O2 device used for this report is pretty reasonably priced, so it is worth getting one that works with Oscar as you might have some aspects that are getting missed by the Resmed data. You have probably already paid the price of such device during the tele exchange and reporting. Also, if the data is confirmed, it might be worth getting a better quality sleep study as the one you had was pretty basic and it did not have enough channels to provide good insight.

I would assume your doctor was concerned by the quality and reliability of the data based on the way too many pulse changes mostly in the first half of the night. There is no way you get into deep sleep if these pulse changes are real, yet your Resmed data does not show any significant breathing events as a probable cause. Either the data is incorrect or you might have some heart or other issue causing this erratic pulse behavior.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 100 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.