Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need help troubleshooting. AHI was once under control and has now gone haywire.
Need help troubleshooting. AHI was once under control and has now gone haywire.
            Hello,

For a long time my AHI was well under control, even under 1 most nights.  I use a telemed doctor and checked in with him earlier this year and he ordered a pulse oximetry test.  The test was fine and my AHI was fine, but he changed the settings on my machine on 2/10/21; the settings I had before were some that I had experimented with and used for quite a while (and they worked).  Initially my numbers got a little worse, but not drastically worse.  Over the course of the past few months, my AHI numbers have been much worse on average with some truly terrible nights leaving me feeling as bad as before I got treatment.  

I've noticed that ever since the pressure changes, I've had an increase in "clear airway" events.  In my initial sleep study I didn't have much problem with central apneas; mostly obstructive, so I'm not sure what to make of the increase in clear airway events.  Sometimes my pressure just ramps up out of nowhere and in general, seems very high.

I'm trying to determine if I'm doing something wrong (I thought I had mask fit and such figured out), if there is a problem with my machine (Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto), or these pressure settings are bunk and I just need to go back to my old setting that were working.  If I am doing something wrong, if you could please let me know how to trouble shoot it would be appreciated.  I haven't detected any major problems with leaks in my equipment, although the charts show otherwise.

I've included 5 charts:
2 really poor recent nights
1 is the last night before the pressure change (2/9/21)
1 is the first night with the new pressure (2/10/21)
and the final is a 6 month overview with what I hope are some relevant statistics.

I'll put the final 2 in the comments.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help troubleshooting. AHI was once under control and has now gone haywire.
I'd put the settings in you had that you've stated had worked better. Dr. McQuack likes S mode probably so you can visit again and get another test and a little different but NOT working well settings over and over and over. With a boat payment every time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help troubleshooting. AHI was once under control and has now gone haywire.
The big change is he increased your pressure support from 5 to 6. Cut it back to 5 tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I was thinking and I just did reset it.  I think this company, despite getting me started ok, is just trying to milk me for some more cash.  I'm going to take a nap and see how this works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Repeat after me YOU'RE FIRED! Doc McQuack your actions ADDED to my CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 967 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Does Not Control Small Chokes Buitlear 27 1,918 12-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Buitlear
  IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP CONTROL srlevine1 2 434 07-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  cant control mouth leak sfgiants123 7 1,035 05-23-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 0 409 05-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Perchance2Dream

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.