Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need machine recommendations
Need machine recommendations
Several years back, this forum helped me to pick out a ResMed S9 machine, which I have been using since, and its been great. For, oh, the last year or so, the machine is showing that the motor has reached the end of its life, contact servicer, etc. Still working, but I can hear probably the bearings starting to make noise. So, I need a new machine. I'd love to know what anyone here thinks the best would be at this time. 

At this point, even though I have medical insurance, its a hell of  a process just to get another machine, as its been so long, and such. They wanted to start with a "home study", yah, sure, great. Oh wait, you want me to attempt to sleep a full night without my machine? Yah, I made it 2 hours before I said forget it. So, then they said, ok, well, we've convinced your insurance to let you do the in house whole thing. Then, they closed down now, for several months with no in house overnight studies due to Covid. So now, it will be a new deductible next year, and I'm not even sure the machine may make it that long. 

I can get a prescription from my dr, and such to get a new machine, but I obviously want to get something that I can be sure is good quality, and I won't have issues with. I've seen that the ResMed S10 seems to have good reviews, but not sure if that is the best choice or not. 

Also, while I am at it, I've had a ResMed FX Quattro mask for years as well, while I like it, I am a side sleeper, so I have to have my straps rather tight to be able to keep the  mask secure. I have to have full face, because I breathe mostly through my mouth while I sleep. The problem with it, is the straps, end up having to go right around behind my head, so they end up cutting into the top of my ears, or I have to take the straps around my ears, thus crushing them under the straps. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mask they may like, that may fit better, that also may be a side sleeper? I prefer not having the thing up on my forehead, but I may just have to go that route. 

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need machine recommendations
Out of pocket I would buy the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset from Supplier #2 for $538. Flat-out the best deal on a new machine I know of. Call them and you won't have to chase the prescription. Just give them your doctor's office number or your old prescription. It never really expires unless insurance is setting up an obstacle course.

A few more thoughts. Contact your insurance directly. Don't use the DME as an intermediary regarding the need for a test. If you have a copy of your old test, I would be amazed if it is not good. You have used equipment through the years and the idea insurance wants to pay for tests in addition to machines strikes me as absurd. I am in the same boat, and will hit five years on my machine in February. My DME has already suggested I will need another test. My plan is to print them a copy of the PSG test done in 2008 and provide a prescription, then tell them to submit it. Let the insurance deny it, then appeal. The process is complete B.S.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best machine is a ResMed. the s10 autoset is the best Cpap - a ResMed aircurve VAUTO is the best “bipap”. You can get either from Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of the site. 

They have great used machines at very good prices. My son and PURCHASED 2 VAUTO. Mine had less than a month use my son’s had less than a week. Great machine great company. 

As far as a mask I just got a ResMed F30 (ffm) ani I am a side sleeper. Works great with no problems with leaks or straps - highly recommend
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the dreamstation is an overall good choice for anyone. You can check out The CPAP Shop's website, you will find the list of best products of each year as well as they also sell premium CPAP compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to second or third the Resmed 10 autoset (for her if possible). The algorithms on the Dreamstation are different and for many, not as effective. Since you are used to the Resmed already and satisfied with results, you probably like their algorithm (without knowing it
perhaps).

I had the Respironics first and found the pressure pulses so annoying they woke me up....and nothing wakes me up.

After I switched to Resmed, no annoying pressure pulses and I was able use lower settings for better results.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
From my viewpoint, the differences in breath patterns and such are intact from CPAP to NIV ventilator class when Respironics or ResMed is discussed according to my RT at the Lincare DME. So I say if you're happy with an S9 version of the ResMed AutoSet, the least disrupting to your continued therapy is the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,212 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 317 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 387 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.